Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Portable 5 Gallon Keg Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
slim chillingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Portable 5 Gallon Keg Cooler

So after seeing a number of portable keg dispensers using 3 gallon kegs, I couldn't help but get jealous. I can't justify the insane cost for a 3 gallon keg, and that's hardly enough beer to make it worthwhile.

Well I got to thinking and figured that if I get a cooler big enough to hold a corny and put some feet on one end, I can put a shank and faucet into the lid and just turn the whole thing it upright when it has reached its dispensing location.

cooler:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-100-Qu...5117206&sr=1-1

feet:
mcmaster-carr 9995T91

does anyone see any flaw in this plan?

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."
Jean-Marie Rock, head brewer at Orval

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm going to be using this.

That plus the faucet adapter that connects to the ball lock connector. Clean, easy, and no mess or ice to buy.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A little more conspicuous but definitely a nice idea, I'm assuming you'll go with a CO2 cartridge rather than a tank?

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim chillingsworth View Post
A little more conspicuous but definitely a nice idea, I'm assuming you'll go with a CO2 cartridge rather than a tank?
I can go that route, but I will be using a 12 oz. Paintball tank with it. You'll probably see it at the Zealots Summer Picnic on Lake Austin next month.

For $49 for the sleeve & ice blanket, it makes pretty good sense compared to what a cooler costs plus the expense of ice. The reusable ice blanket makes to eco-friendly too.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim chillingsworth View Post
does anyone see any flaw in this plan?
When you turn it on it's end, won't the melting ice leak out all over the place?

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.n.budz View Post
When you turn it on it's end, won't the melting ice leak out all over the place?
That plus he'll need to strap the lid closed too.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I figured on using a strap, but I assume that leakage would be pretty minimal. It would be for outdoor use only, I imagine.

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

Old 07-04-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I use a 2-line cold plate picnic cooler, and have two 5 gal kegs in a rubber maid rubber container alone with 5lb C02 tank. It works great and can fit it all in the back seat of a sedan, until I have the need for a third keg.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

+1, Kahuna.

While I like EdWort's keg cozy, I'm not lugging a 5-gallon keg like a canteen. I'm gonna carry it somewhere and set the great heavy thing down where it will rest until (hopefully) empty.

2 kegs, gas, cold plate, 1 bag of ice. That's all I need. Hell, I usually don't even ice the kegs; I find the ice in the cold plate is sufficient. When it's really beastly hot, however, I have a couple of 5-gallon buckets in which the kegs go. Fill ice round the kegs and you're pretty much done. The bucket ice pre-chills the beer, especially if the taps are flowing fast.

If you don't want to buy/build a tap box, you also don't need to go drilling and cutting a perfectly good cooler. Just use a couple of your old buckets and hand taps.

Since all kegs draw from the bottom, you really don't have to worry about chilling the entire keg all the time. You can save ice and effort, and just ice down the bottom third of the keg in a 5-gallon bucket. I do this all the time and it works perfectly. Not as pretty as EdWort's keg cozy, but...

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 07-05-2008, 03:17 AM   #10
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been putting a corny in a 7 gallon bucket and using a keg charger. It leaves about 2 inches between the corny and bucket, so I just fill that with a bag of ice. It chills the bottom of the keg, where the dip tube is drawing from anyway, and serves cold beer all night. I've been very pleased.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Quick Reply