Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > plug and play fermenter temp control?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
Pondside
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default plug and play fermenter temp control?

I am converting a fridge into a fermenter box. I am looking for a thermostat that I can buy that can run the fridge compressor and heat source as temperature dictates. I read about a 2 stage johnson controls a-19 that you plug the fridge into one outlet and the heat into the other, but can only find single stage and youtube instructions on how to build heat control yourself. I have been building this thing (homebrewery) for about 10 months, and now I am tired of building and ready to buy plug and play temp control. Suggestions or links apreciated.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondside View Post
I am converting a fridge into a fermenter box. I am looking for a thermostat that I can buy that can run the fridge compressor and heat source as temperature dictates. I read about a 2 stage johnson controls a-19 that you plug the fridge into one outlet and the heat into the other, but can only find single stage and youtube instructions on how to build heat control yourself. I have been building this thing (homebrewery) for about 10 months, and now I am tired of building and ready to buy plug and play temp control. Suggestions or links apreciated.

Thanks
Ranco temp controller, two stage.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/16664/102282/Ranco_Digital_Two-Stage_Temperature_Controller_-_Wired

Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

There's also this from rebel brewing (built with the STC-1000):
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Digital-Dual-Function-Refrigerator-Thermostat.html

And here's another option for the ranco:
http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc211000000-stage-prewired-temperature-controller-p-110.html

Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
tknice
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

We are developing one over at BrewGeeks if you can wait. It will be a standalone application that runs on a laptop or computer and talks to modules that turn on/off the cooling and heat source as necessary. It takes wireless temp data using one of these. We aren't selling a kit or anything--just making software to run it. It's all DIY.

The whole deal will be a little more expensive than the ranco controllers because you have to buy two $15 appliance modules and the wireless temp monitor for about $90, but the huge benefit is you can set up a fermentation schedule to begin at say 66deg and rise slowly to 70 over a few days time.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cool idea, tknice. But it seems like this is an application where you wouldn't want to go wireless. What happens when the battery on the temperature probe fails? Maybe an alarm could go off, but what if you're out of town?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
tknice
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophmck View Post
Cool idea, tknice. But it seems like this is an application where you wouldn't want to go wireless. What happens when the battery on the temperature probe fails? Maybe an alarm could go off, but what if you're out of town?
Thanks tophmck.. yeah, we thought the same thing. Here is the webpage for my sensors that I scrape the data from and it has a battery column that I HOPE will change at some point. So far they have all read OK. I'm expecting to see LOW or warning or something soon. http://www.weatherdirect.com/TX60.aspx?&wusid=183726&bxid=2147901275

I've been using 4 of them for about a year in my ferm chamber build and haven't had to change a battery yet.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Makes sense. If you get notice when the battery is low and the wireless link is solid, I guess it's not really an issue. Great website, by the way!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
tknice
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophmck View Post
Makes sense. If you get notice when the battery is low and the wireless link is solid, I guess it's not really an issue. Great website, by the way!
Thanks bud!

How to Make Starters
How to Clean Kegs
How to Rack Beer to a Keg

Old 10-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

X-10 appliance modules, nice. Have about half a dozen in my X-10 junk box. The wireless temp sensor seems like overkill. Not the wireless part, but the humidity and air pressure capability.

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Catcher in the Rye Pale Ale
On Tap #2: Vanilla Porter
On Deck: Thinking....

Quick Reply