Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > A "Pleaser" Keezer

View Poll Results: Is it worthwhile to build a "nice" keezer out of one that you KNOW you'll outgrow?
Yes - A job worth doing is worth doing well! 77 65.81%
No - Use the dang picnic tap and save $$ for beer! 40 34.19%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default A "Pleaser" Keezer

Well, I tried to coin the term "kidgerator" by dividing my main fridge with a vertical wall with custom shelves on one side and a keg/tank on the other. The fridge is on-loan, so I couldn't start drilling holes through the door. I planned to put a hinged panel in front, to make it look sexy ("hide" the keg/co2) and mainly to give me something to which I could mount the faucets, all inside our normal fridge....but managed to talk the wife into giving-up our little deep-freeze instead. Let us begin....

It's a bit small for my needs (probably only 2 kegs, with the vague possibility of 3, but I'm going to make it work, anyway. When I get back to the States in a year or two, I'll build my "dream keezer" The reason this is called the "pleaser keezer" is because even though I only consider it a temporary stop-gap for my beer-serving needs, my Chief of Staff (the wife) gave authorization "only if it doesn't look like a freezer in my living room." The COS also gave me a limited budget ($100-200) so we'll see what we can do...

I started out by removing all of the food and cramming it by force into the top of the fridge (You'll notice it has not yet defrosted, but it IS unplugged! I didn't want to waste any time once I had authorization from the COS.

Then, I stripped down the lid and removed the lock/handle, so it will be MUCH easier to build overtop. The rubber seal had 4 screws, but they also used those annoying plastic "thumb tacks" that press in and get stuck... had to cut around them a bit with a razorblade and some luck. You'll notice the big piece of insulation leaning against the left side.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4628 Times on 4311 Posts
Likes Given: 57

So, it's really a "Pleez-her Keez-er"

Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Go with the keezer. Your probabaly not going to bring it home with you, but you'll be able to ship the shanks/taps etc home no problem. Two taps in a dedicated keezer is better than one in 'half' the fridge. Make her happy, go for the keezer.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Default Also started tap handles to keep my eye on the prize!

I forgot to post that I started on my tap handles. Using cocobolo, which is a pretty cool exotic wood (but can have carcinogenic effects so be careful if you usually have respiratory/allergic issues).

Just making 2 handles, though I'll probably kick myself the day I decide to "upgrade" to a 3-keg system.

Started with a block of wood.

Mounted it on the lathe and started cutting away.

For anyone that cares, I'm using a Delta "Midi" lathe. It's the heaviest "mid-sized" lathe I know of, and works really well. I've had this one since 2001 and moved it several times. All I had to do was change the belt once and I swapped out the plastic handles for some after-market metal ones from Woodcraft.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Default More Pleaser Keezer Progress

Ok, so made a bit more progress on my build.

I found some leftover casters from a project long-since forgotten and built a rolling base. That made it easier to move around for measuring, etc. The real challenge of my build is that I'm using my freezer for beer while I'm still building it. Because of this, I also had to make a temporary lid (just attached the original rubber seal to a piece of plywood.

As I mentioned before, the inside of my rather small deep-freeze is stepped, so I had to build a collar to fit another keg (or two, or possibly a keg and a carboy) on the shelf. Here is a picture of the collar.

My concept for the tower was to use an inverted cooler inside a wooden housing and cut a large hole in the metal freezer lid to accommodate. I fit the cooler to the plywood and cut the hole for my drip tray. If you're curious, I went with the Curtis DTP-20 Drip Tray. It's 20" x 4.25" -- probably big for the size of my keezer, but I wanted to avoid the "Buy Small-Buy Twice" theory. Since I plan on building a much larger keezer whenever I get back to the States, this seemed like a decent investment.

I received my faucets and shafts in the mail. Pretty psyched about them--nice shiny chrome and only $11 each on ebay.

I had hoped to post pictures of my turned tap handles, however, my lathe threw a bearing. I may just ask my dad to make a couple of handles and mail them to me--not sure.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Ok, I made some more progress but seem to be wasting some time with extra trips to the hardware store due to my lack of pre-planning. (I wish I had spent more time learning to use that Google Sketch program.)

As you can see, I mounted the collar. I put a thin layer of insulation/foam in-between the collar and the freezer, and then taped the outside/inside with moisture-barrier tape.

As you can see, the "keezer" is already in-use so I'm building around it.

The drip tray arrived so I built the frame/border for that. Things are starting to come together, though I didn't like the first set of bolts I bought--decided to go with smaller ones (they don't seem to have the flat/curved-headed bolts here so I'll have to counter-sink them. I'm stalling on attaching the hinges until I finish the top, but it's hard to manage the top before I can raise the lid, and I can't raise the lid until I hold it all together with bolts.... I need a beer.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

build it, use it, outgrow it, sell it, buy bigger, repeat

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Well, folks. I was able to make some progress and thought I'd post a couple more pictures. The main steps were framing the vertical edges, which I attached to the collar.

Then, I covered the exterior with the thinnest (cheapest) plywood I could find. I also found time (finally) to start building the backstop/cover for the cooler and drilled the tap holes. (If anyone actually uses this idea--the cooler thing--I recommend using a taller/larger cooler because this wasn't quite as tall as I needed but I'll make it work.)
I threw a quick coat of paint on it, but will be doing much more before I call the project "finished." (hint: bamboo) Anyway, it's starting to take form.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Guntr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looking good! Are you planning some kind of fan to circulate air up into your "Cooler Tower"?

Planning: Portable Kegerator?
Primary 1: Air :(
Primary 2: Air :(
Keg 1: IPA
Keg 2: Lager
Keg 3: CO2
Keg 4: StarSan
Glass: Half Full :)

Old 01-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you can't find a buyer when you move or move up at least you can keep the tank/regulator/hoses/faucets/thermostat etc. putting faucets in the collar would have left you with a reusable freezer but your build is looking good.

Quick Reply