Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Please help!!! (CO2)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
mgmiller08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Please help!!! (CO2)

Just finished my keezer build and tapped the keg. Once tapped, I turned on the Co2 and was, per the instructions, trying to set the gauge to 10-12 psi by turning the handle clockwise, which I did. But the gauge is reading roughly 45psi and I cannot turn the handle anymore. Anyway to release pressure or any tips on what to do?

Last edited by mgmiller08; 02-16-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Turn it the other way

Old 02-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
mgmiller08
Recipes 

This I tried, with no results. But I did run some beer which released the pressure in the line and have got it set to the correct PSI...for now.

Last edited by mgmiller08; 02-16-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
mgmiller08
Recipes 

Another question from the newbie...will I have to adjust the co2 gauge regularly? It appears that every pour the gauge drops below 10 psi. Is this normal or is something incorrect? Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

You need to bleed the pressure off. The regulator can only flow in one direction, so there's no way that the CO2 can get back into the keg. Turning down the regulator only degreases the amount of CO2 it regulates, it wont decrease what pressure has already been applied. There should be a release valve on the regulator or the keg, or both. Just turn down the regulator, bleed off the pressure, and watch where the pressure drops to. When I turn them down, I usually bleed off until I can hear CO2 entering the keg, then I know that's where the new setting is for the regulator.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
beninan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmiller08 View Post
Another question from the newbie...will I have to adjust the co2 gauge regularly? It appears that every pour the gauge drops below 10 psi. Is this normal or is something incorrect? Thanks for the help in advance.
It's probably dropping because you have already turned down the pressure. So you increased it to 45 PSI to begin with. You haven't bled off the CO2, so there's nowhere to go. If you turned down the regualtor, there will still be 45 PSI in the keg, but the regulator is now in the dialed position where it would regulate 600 PSI to 10 PSI (instead of 600 PSI to 45 PSI, making up numbers here, so don't take them literally).
Every time you pour, the beer level is decreasing and allowing more room for the CO2, thus the pressure that hasn't been bleed off now has somewhere to spread out to, which would degrease the pressure on the gauge.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
beninan
Recipes 

Another note, once you have the pressure dialed in, you shouldn't have to adjust the regulator. There will be instances where you may have to though, like if you change your refrigerator temp.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
mgmiller08
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
You need to bleed the pressure off. The regulator can only flow in one direction, so there's no way that the CO2 can get back into the keg. Turning down the regulator only degreases the amount of CO2 it regulates, it wont decrease what pressure has already been applied. There should be a release valve on the regulator or the keg, or both. Just turn down the regulator, bleed off the pressure, and watch where the pressure drops to. When I turn them down, I usually bleed off until I can hear CO2 entering the keg, then I know that's where the new setting is for the regulator.
I bled the line and it seems that I have got the pressure where I want it...on the regulator. But as I pour a beer, it seems like there is still TOO much pressure. It is all head and it is a strong pour as well.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
beninan
Recipes 

What's your beer line length, internal diameter, refrigeration temp, and CO2 pressure?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How did you carbonate the keg?

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier