Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Please give input on my kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #41
humpadilo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So I am a little sad that it is not keeping tempurature like I need. It was staying at low 60's in my kitchen. It was frosting up on certain parts on the back panal where the cold coils are touching the back. It tells me that those parts are plenty cold and I have anissue of distributing the cold and absorbing the heat out of the unit. I was told that putting some heat sinks over the area that is frosting and putting my fan to blow over them will help absorb the hotter air in the unit and absorb it into the frosting area. I am going to order those and hopefully put them in soon. By the way my keg, regulator, and CO2 came in today. I have a oktoberfest that I am going to keg in about a week:mug. It will be my first keg!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #42
Howiedw
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I hate to see you have to take it completely apart, but on the fridge you sacrificed, were the cooling coils on the inside of the box? you may need to figure a way to put the cooling coils inside the cold box. On mine, the cold plate that formed the freezer are placed inside the cold box. Hopes for the best. Hopefully you do not need to completely re-engineer the whole thing.

Primary: Garage hooch Pale, Irish Stout, Black Lager / Lagering: Black Magic Lager
Bottled : Drunken Emu
Kegged : Garage Hooch, Garage Hooch Pale Mk II
On deck: DCME Stout, Garage Hooch Variations, Alaskan Amber Clone, Drumken Emu
DIY: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/anti...-build-395713/

Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #43
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know exactly what you are talking about. My fridge didn't have a freezer so no cold plate. The cold coils were between the inner and outer shells. I am pretty confident it is the lack of air flow. The fan I put in there to begin with is at a bad spot spot. It's getting the specific area down to freezing temperatures I just need it to absorb all that heat in the unit. Hopefully the heat sinks will do it. I haven't ordered them yet so it will be a while before I get them in. By the way does anyone where I could get some thermal epoxy so I don't have to take the whole thing apart to screw the heat sinks in?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #44
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I have some heat sinks that I am going to install. I am going to use a thermal glue to apply them where it is frosting up. They will go in like the pattern in the picture. I am going to make a housing out of sheet metal to go over them and have a fan blowing air in through the bottom. That way the air going in Is warm and the heat sinks absorb the heat and out comes the cold air.

image-3046362404.jpg  

Old 05-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #45
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I got the heat sinks installed. I put three on the right side and two on the left side. I put them over where it keeps frosting up on the back wall. I covered it with some of the aluminum insulation I had left over and put fans on them. Here is the final product of what I did today.

image-3436891326.jpg   image-691050846.jpg  

Old 05-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #46
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not to happy with my kegerator. It is not cooling very well. I think I am going to have to have to do some surgery. I was thinking about cutting the back out and move the cold coils to the inside and replace the sheet metal. Also I didn't get the hot coils to make contact with the outside shell. I am going to put this on the back burner for bit.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #47
Howiedw
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sorry to hear that. If you plan surgery anyway, it may be worth it to look for a different sacrificial fridge. Here's hoping for the best!

Primary: Garage hooch Pale, Irish Stout, Black Lager / Lagering: Black Magic Lager
Bottled : Drunken Emu
Kegged : Garage Hooch, Garage Hooch Pale Mk II
On deck: DCME Stout, Garage Hooch Variations, Alaskan Amber Clone, Drumken Emu
DIY: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/anti...-build-395713/

Old 07-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #48
honreth
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Any updates on this?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #49
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am disappointed with this. I think the problem is that I have a to small cooling unit. I think I need to get another minifrdge that is bigger and has a freezer in it. I modified it from the last pictures.
I cut the metal out of the inside back where the cold coils are. I pulled the coils forward and put two more sheets of insulation around the entire inside. I also rigged up a fan that blew air across the coils.
I can only get it to mid 50s while it is turned all the way down. The first few cold coils are freezing over. I put a stick on thermometer on the front of the keg and it reads at a constant 57. I had a bravarian beer in the keg and it was barely cold enough. I think this is going to sit on the back burner until I figure a good way to fix it. It is a lot of work taking it apart and I glued the insulation so I might not be able to reuse it. Also the wood is pretty old and taking it apart might tear it up worse.
It looks really awesome right now though. I am looking for a chest freezer I can just put a collar on for the time.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #50
firerat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Sorry to hear man.

I had similar issues with my kegerator not getting cold enough. I turned it into a fermentation chamber instead.

I have much better luck using a chest freezer as a keezer.

"I never apologize. I'm sorry but thats just the way I am."--Homer J. Simpson

Quick Reply