Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Please give input on my kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
Howiedw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you plan on using foam board insulation, I would make sure to get the foil backed variety. Face the shiny side out and tape the coils to that side. As for recessing the coils, you want them to male contact with the outer shell. If you have the room to fit the shell over with out cutting grooves, them go that way. If there is not enough clearence, then cut groves.

Primary: Garage hooch Pale, Irish Stout, Black Lager / Lagering: Black Magic Lager
Bottled : Drunken Emu
Kegged : Garage Hooch, Garage Hooch Pale Mk II
On deck: DCME Stout, Garage Hooch Variations, Alaskan Amber Clone, Drumken Emu
DIY: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/anti...-build-395713/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #32
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So this is where I am now. I have the cold coils under the foil on the back and I am going to cover that with foam insulation. The hot coils are going on both sides of the fridge. It will be sitting on top of aluminum and the foam insulation. The metal shell will be resting against the hot coils to transfer the heat away. I am also going to seal the compressor compartment from the rest of the fridge. I am planning on having vents on the compressor area and installing a fan that comes on when the compressor comes on. I am pretty close to finishing.

image-1524982292.jpg   image-243164551.jpg   image-3978860403.jpg   image-2943290225.jpg  

Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #33
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Last night my father in law came over to help me wire up the electrical parts. We put a little PC fan in the main chamber to circulate the air and another one by the compressor to cool it off. We wired them to have them come on only when the compressor is on. The one in the main chamber has a pretty shabby frame but it works for now. I also put a metal grate over the back and side of the compressor to vent it.

image-2083056531.jpg   image-1614239717.jpg   image-2627053700.jpg   image-1820680880.jpg  

Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #34
tdexterc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpadilo View Post
I haven't had much time to make progress on my kegerator. I'm a little concerned about how I am going to bend the copper coils. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to do this?
Looks like I got here too late, but it sounds like you were able to bend the copper fine. For reference on future projects, when I was bending copper tubing for my wort chiller, rather than bending it freely by hand or buying an expensive bending tool, I just simply filled the tubing with sand to keep it from buckling anywhere and it worked like a charm.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #35
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's a really good idea but the only problem with mine is that the copper lines have gas in it and i didn't want to have to pay someone to solder it back and refill it with gas. So, I had no way of filling it with gas. I will use that idea if I make a wort chiller though.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #36
tdexterc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts

Ooooh I see. I was thinking you were buying new tubing and fitting it to an existing refrigerator unit. Looks like a really interesting and seriously ambitious project. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #37
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I am pretty much finished. I put some trim on the bottom and plugged it in for the night. I still need to paint over some scratches I put in and put a shelf in the top left compartment so I can store bottles. I will be moving it in to the house tomorrow and put my Oktoberfest that is fermenting in it until I get my keg. Here is the finished product.

image-1029680846.jpg   image-1988971946.jpg  

Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #38
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdexterc
Ooooh I see. I was thinking you were buying new tubing and fitting it to an existing refrigerator unit. Looks like a really interesting and seriously ambitious project. I look forward to seeing the finished product!
It was really ambitious! Especially since I have little to no experience in thus kind of stuff. I just took my time and experimented. I am extremely happy with how this turned out. I think it looks great. I will see in the morning if it gets cool enough to chill my brews.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #39
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So is it holding temps like you want? This is really awesome and looks amazing.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I turned the temp control to just over half way last night and it was at about 55 degrees this morning. Not to bad. I think I will turn it all the way up and see how cold it gets.

Quick Reply