The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Please give input on my kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
humpadilo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Now it is time to put these together. I want to run the coils inside to keep it cool. As for the compressor, I am going to cut the metal in the bottom left compartment to separate the fridge from the compressor. I will leave it open and just put a big vent on the side so the air will circulate and cool the compressor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I forgot to add the picture.

image-479167177.jpg  

Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #13
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I haven't had much time to make progress on my kegerator. I'm a little concerned about how I am going to bend the copper coils. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to do this?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
Stoneciphes
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I were you I would search for a fridge that has the coil on the back or the coils under the fridge. GRAB THE MODLE NUMBER TAG! "it is important that the coils not be in the wall" then harvest the compressor, condenser, timer, heating coils, timer, and evaporator coils. You can’t put the Compressor in the fridge compartment as it get too hot. You will need it to have a fan on the compressor in that small of a space. You can hang the condenser coils on the back of the box. Cut wherever you need to and braze the coils back together once you get it plumbed. Now if you grabbed that model number the books will tell you how many ounces the fridge needs . Any good appliance repair center should be able to vacuum your lines and refill with the right amount of Freon (R-134a) for about or under $100. Cooling system done cheers!

If you don't grab the heater then the coils will freeze over and it wont cool.

Last edited by Stoneciphes; 04-18-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: more info

Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #15
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My goal is to get the coils on the fridge I am modyfing without any "special tools" or professionals. I want to make so that anyone can do it in their garage. As for the setup for where the compressor is going, I making the bottom left compartment isolated from the rest of the unit and insulating it pretty well against the heat/cold transfer. The left wall and the back of the left compartment will have a vent installed. Also I am planning on attaching a PC fan to circulate the air in that compartment. The coils are going to be between the layers of tin. So, from the outside to the inside it will be sheet metal, insulation, coils, sheet metal, inside of fridge. I have had a few so I am not sure if I am describing this right.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #16
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

That is really nice looking. Given that, one idea that I would consider for the taps would be to not add exterior taps at all. Open the door and use picnic taps. I think that would look the best.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

A little confused as to what I'm seeing here.

Ice boxes were popular until the advent of the modern powered, compressed coolant refrigerators. These started rolling out for home use in the late 20's. The particle board I'm seeing in your pictures wasn't developed until some time during World War II.

Does this thing have a date stamp or other manufacture date indication anywhere on it?

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
Howiedw
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Take a look at mine. The link is in my signature. It might give you a few ideas on how to fit it in. I just put the compressor and coils into mine.

Primary: Garage hooch Pale, Irish Stout, Black Lager / Lagering: Black Magic Lager
Bottled : Drunken Emu
Kegged : Garage Hooch, Garage Hooch Pale Mk II
On deck: DCME Stout, Garage Hooch Variations, Alaskan Amber Clone, Drumken Emu
DIY: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/anti...-build-395713/

Old 04-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856
A little confused as to what I'm seeing here.

Ice boxes were popular until the advent of the modern powered, compressed coolant refrigerators. These started rolling out for home use in the late 20's. The particle board I'm seeing in your pictures wasn't developed until some time during World War II.

Does this thing have a date stamp or other manufacture date indication anywhere on it?
There is this on one of the doors. It says it complies with codes set in 1936. So I figured it was made around 1940.
image-1986592675.jpg  

Old 04-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #20
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiedw View Post
Take a look at mine. The link is in my signature. It might give you a few ideas on how to fit it in. I just put the compressor and coils into mine.
That looks awesome!! I am at the point where I have bend the copper wire. Any advice on that? Did you just use your hands. I am a little worried about breaking them.

Quick Reply