Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Please give input on my kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
humpadilo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Please give input on my kegerator

So, after roughly 4 months of brewing, I decided I want to get into kegging. To do this I needed a kegerator. I didn't want just a fridge/freezer one. I wanted one SWMBO would like inside the house and not stored in the garage. I found inspiration from maverick9862's article:
DIY Kegerator: Moving Beyond Functionality
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/diy-kegerator.html

So after weeks of searching craigslist, pawn shops, etc. I finally found this:
img_0954.jpg

img_0953.jpg

I should be able to fit two 5 gallon kegs on the right side and make the left a place where I can put beer bottles and maybe wine. I am going to follow how maverick9862 did his and use the guts of a dorm fridge. It is going to be kinda hard making the modifications, and I am far from experienced in this kind of project, but I am highly motivated and open to suggestions. Please let me know if you have any advice or ideas that I could use. SWMBO really likes the old fidge, so I am pretty excited to have her on board and excited about it, too. I am going to put insulation on the inside. There is a drain in the bottom that I might use to run my CO2 though and have the CO2 tank mounted outside and concealed somehow. There isn't a lot of room inside. One thing I need help on is the taps. I have no idea what I want to use for the tower. I want it to blend in with the look of the fridge. My over all picture is to make look so that it doesn't look like a kegerator, just another kitchen piece.

Please let me know your ideas. I am really excited about this project. I think it is going to look great when I am done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Chattan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It looks like an old ice fridge. Does it have a compressor? If it does have a compressor, you should check the cooling capability.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No it doesn't. They would used to deliver an ice block and they would put the ice in the bottom compartment. I am not sure how old but it doesn't even have any cooling system other than a block of ice. I am planning on ripping one out of a dorm fridge to use.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1288 Times on 1039 Posts

The challenge will be how to end up with the condensing coil on the outside and the expansion coil or cold plate on the inside, without having to disconnect either from the compressor...

Cheers!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Roger that. I was thinking about putting the compressor in the bottom left and sealing it off. Put a old looking vent and paint it red. Also I would put a computer fan blowing the hot air out the vent. Just brainstorming on that piece.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is a picture if the side of the fridge. I pulled off the tin an the insulation was this 1/2 inch particle board stuff. I am going to replace it with the insulation board from HD.

image-2319715891.jpg  

Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1288 Times on 1039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpadilo View Post
Roger that. I was thinking about putting the compressor in the bottom left and sealing it off. Put a old looking vent and paint it red. Also I would put a computer fan blowing the hot air out the vent. Just brainstorming on that piece.
That would be ideal from an aesthetics aspect - nice clean exterior unsullied by a radiator. Otoh, you'll need good insulation around that compartment to avoid throwing heat where you want cold, and you'll need both an exhaust and intake from/to that compartment for your cooling fan to work well.

Still, it could be done - and well-executed would likely look killer (maybe even good enough for the spousal unit ) But would you be able to fit enough kegs to meet your desires?

Cheers!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was planning on separating the bottom left compartment and have it insulated so the heat won't get to the cold side. Also I am planning on hooking up a computer fan in the compressor compartment, and putting a vent on the side so the hot air can be blown out by the fan. I would like to find an old looking fan and paint it the same color as the fridge.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here is where I am now.

It is stripped down to the frame with the metal part that makes the inside wall. I got insulation I am going to put in after I finish gutting the new fridge for the cooling system. That is taking a while. I might get it taken apart tonight.

image-3893349255.jpg  

Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

really interested in how this turns out

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Quick Reply