Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Plasti-Dip? Will this work and look good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Well, I did it!!!! Finally,Yea!!!!

Well, to finish out this thread I thought I would tell you guys what I learned.

I did the Plasti-Dip for my lids, (project here) and that worked out great. If I were to do it all over again I would use latex first on all the wood, and paint & caulk any crevices with silicone caulking on the Styrofoam before coating everything with Plasti-Dip.

I decided to go with Line-X truck bed-liner (project here) instead of the Plasti-Dip, and boy am I glad I did. Other than a little disappointment for the liner guy's less-than-professional job and business practices, I am happy with the way they turned out.

Here's a close up of what the stuff looks like. It is very rigid, like tire rubber or thick bulls hide leather.

I found out that it does insulate, just not how much. The Line-X page just says adds some "R" value and dampens sound, lol. With the three coverings with Reflectix Insulation, I wasn't really worried about the "R" value anyway.

So, I guess in retrospect, Plasti-Dip would work only liner is a better/tougher choice. The lids however, need to be more flexible for a good insulating seal and the Plasti-Dip works great for that application. Two great products I am very glad I found out about. Hope everyone enjoys looking at the projects as much as I did making them.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
TheGAC
Beer GOOOOD! Napster BAD!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger
Well, to finish out this thread I thought I would tell you guys what I learned.

I did the Plasti-Dip for my lids, (project here) and that worked out great. If I were to do it all over again I would use latex first on all the wood, and paint & caulk any crevices with silicone caulking on the Styrofoam before coating everything with Plasti-Dip.

I decided to go with Line-X truck bed-liner (project here) instead of the Plasti-Dip, and boy am I glad I did. Other than a little disappointment for the liner guy's less-than-professional job and business practices, I am happy with the way they turned out.

Here's a close up of what the stuff looks like. It is very rigid, like tire rubber or thick bulls hide leather.

I found out that it does insulate, just not how much. The Line-X page just says adds some "R" value and dampens sound, lol. With the three coverings with Reflectix Insulation, I wasn't really worried about the "R" value anyway.

So, I guess in retrospect, Plasti-Dip would work only liner is a better/tougher choice. The lids however, need to be more flexible for a good insulating seal and the Plasti-Dip works great for that application. Two great products I am very glad I found out about. Hope everyone enjoys looking at the projects as much as I did making them.
I was serious when I said you need to write a book with all of your projects. I like how well you document everything and include pictures.

Start running around your set up with a camera and take pictures, then post them. That'll give me a chance to point and choose which things I want to know about!

Great job dude!

They should replace the coffee at work with a good ol' Oatmeal Stout... At least then I'd be to work on time.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Those look incredible.

WOW!

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
WortMonger

Recipes 

LOL, GAC. Just you wait, I am planning on documenting my entire setup and a brew session on My Updated Brewery thread. I started sanding my stand yesterday to get ready for painting. Then, I wire it for plug-ins and I am ready to wock n woll. I feel like giving a big 'ol redneck YEEHAWW!!!!! (Disclaimer- WortMonger is not in fact a Redneck and hope he didn't offend any of his next door neighbors or other residence of his town or state.) Last but not least, is the mash mixer project. I am having trouble finding a ice cream machine (motor for my mash stirrer) this time of the year, frickin Wal-Mart is not stocking them till later this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Those look incredible.

WOW!
Thanks Dude, they were a bear to come to completion. I kept hearing, "They'll be done tomorrow." I heard that for half a week after they set there a week prior to that. Finally though, they are done.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
slimer

Recipes 

I am inspired. I may have to totally copy you.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
WortMonger

Recipes 

Go ahead, lol. What is it they say, "copying is the highest form of flattery." Well then, flatter me with a twice as good setup, lol. I love seeing other peoples projects, but it is so much fun doing my own.

Quick Reply