Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Plasti-Dip? Will this work and look good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Well, I did it!!!! Finally,Yea!!!!

Well, to finish out this thread I thought I would tell you guys what I learned.

I did the Plasti-Dip for my lids, (project here) and that worked out great. If I were to do it all over again I would use latex first on all the wood, and paint & caulk any crevices with silicone caulking on the Styrofoam before coating everything with Plasti-Dip.

I decided to go with Line-X truck bed-liner (project here) instead of the Plasti-Dip, and boy am I glad I did. Other than a little disappointment for the liner guy's less-than-professional job and business practices, I am happy with the way they turned out.

Here's a close up of what the stuff looks like. It is very rigid, like tire rubber or thick bulls hide leather.

I found out that it does insulate, just not how much. The Line-X page just says adds some "R" value and dampens sound, lol. With the three coverings with Reflectix Insulation, I wasn't really worried about the "R" value anyway.

So, I guess in retrospect, Plasti-Dip would work only liner is a better/tougher choice. The lids however, need to be more flexible for a good insulating seal and the Plasti-Dip works great for that application. Two great products I am very glad I found out about. Hope everyone enjoys looking at the projects as much as I did making them.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
TheGAC
Beer GOOOOD! Napster BAD!

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger
Well, to finish out this thread I thought I would tell you guys what I learned.

I did the Plasti-Dip for my lids, (project here) and that worked out great. If I were to do it all over again I would use latex first on all the wood, and paint & caulk any crevices with silicone caulking on the Styrofoam before coating everything with Plasti-Dip.

I decided to go with Line-X truck bed-liner (project here) instead of the Plasti-Dip, and boy am I glad I did. Other than a little disappointment for the liner guy's less-than-professional job and business practices, I am happy with the way they turned out.

Here's a close up of what the stuff looks like. It is very rigid, like tire rubber or thick bulls hide leather.

I found out that it does insulate, just not how much. The Line-X page just says adds some "R" value and dampens sound, lol. With the three coverings with Reflectix Insulation, I wasn't really worried about the "R" value anyway.

So, I guess in retrospect, Plasti-Dip would work only liner is a better/tougher choice. The lids however, need to be more flexible for a good insulating seal and the Plasti-Dip works great for that application. Two great products I am very glad I found out about. Hope everyone enjoys looking at the projects as much as I did making them.
I was serious when I said you need to write a book with all of your projects. I like how well you document everything and include pictures.

Start running around your set up with a camera and take pictures, then post them. That'll give me a chance to point and choose which things I want to know about!

Great job dude!

Primary: WTF, it's empty!
Secondary: WTF, it's empty!
On-tap: WTF, it's empty!
On-deck: Raging Red Irish Ale

Old 03-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Those look incredible.

WOW!

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
WortMonger

Recipes 

LOL, GAC. Just you wait, I am planning on documenting my entire setup and a brew session on My Updated Brewery thread. I started sanding my stand yesterday to get ready for painting. Then, I wire it for plug-ins and I am ready to wock n woll. I feel like giving a big 'ol redneck YEEHAWW!!!!! (Disclaimer- WortMonger is not in fact a Redneck and hope he didn't offend any of his next door neighbors or other residence of his town or state.) Last but not least, is the mash mixer project. I am having trouble finding a ice cream machine (motor for my mash stirrer) this time of the year, frickin Wal-Mart is not stocking them till later this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Those look incredible.

WOW!
Thanks Dude, they were a bear to come to completion. I kept hearing, "They'll be done tomorrow." I heard that for half a week after they set there a week prior to that. Finally though, they are done.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
slimer

Recipes 

I am inspired. I may have to totally copy you.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
WortMonger

Recipes 

Go ahead, lol. What is it they say, "copying is the highest form of flattery." Well then, flatter me with a twice as good setup, lol. I love seeing other peoples projects, but it is so much fun doing my own.

Quick Reply