Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Planning, scheming, questioning my own sanity. (HERMS)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #21
Joe Camel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Back to the topic at hand, I might be wrong but the OPs design can be simplified if he's willing to do some lifting.

Keep the MLT and the BK with the built in coil, lose the HLT as it seems only to be used to hold hot water from the BK while sparging. Instead, mashout as normal and drain mlt into a few pails, then transfer hot water from BK directly into MLT, dump pails into BK and start boil while collecting more wort.

I think at the end of the day, this setup would be a real b*tch to clean up, my boil kettle looks like a cat's arsehole after a brew day, I couldn't imagine trying to clean up the crusties with a built in chiller, but each to their own.

Cheers

Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
-Deaner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #22
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pol has really converted me to electric. Im gonna go all electric this summer, following pol's instructions more or less. I realized that once ive got a pump, my shirron plate chiller will start working, so there wont really be a need for the built in chiller.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #23
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
Pol has really converted me to electric. Im gonna go all electric this summer, following pol's instructions more or less. I realized that once ive got a pump, my shirron plate chiller will start working, so there wont really be a need for the built in chiller.
Electric is fun, it is easy, it is clean and it is cheap to operate. You can use it indoors, outdoors... no refilling propane tanks, no noise.

If you need ANY assistance PLEASE PM me if you have any questions. I have helped several HBTers build MY rig, even if you dont build one like mine, I can help though.

Not here to convert ppl to electric brewing, but it is REALLY convenient and easy to get precise control.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 AM   #24
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks man, I will be sure to PM you when I've got enough money to do it, Im going to be moving into a house without a garage or level driveway soon, and I want to be able to brew inside.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:09 AM   #25
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
Thanks man, I will be sure to PM you when I've got enough money to do it, Im going to be moving into a house without a garage or level driveway soon, and I want to be able to brew inside.
Word...

Catch my webcast brew session on Saturday, it is on Mugulus. SNPA Clone! You can see my rig in action

Old 05-14-2009, 03:14 AM   #26
thorongil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pol - are you live streaming?

“Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvelous year... The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sigh: ‘Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!’”

- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King

Old 05-14-2009, 03:15 AM   #27
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorongil View Post
Pol - are you live streaming?
YES... If it works!

I will be starting at 10am Eastern time.... Saturday! SNPA clone

Old 05-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #28
thorongil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sweet - I'll try to tune in... I've used ustream a couple times to live stream, and so has Dude. Gotta love virtual brew days!

“Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvelous year... The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sigh: ‘Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!’”

- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King

Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #29
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorongil View Post
Sweet - I'll try to tune in... I've used ustream a couple times to live stream, and so has Dude. Gotta love virtual brew days!
Id be honored to have you tune in! It will be on the E-HERMS and I will be NO CHILLING the wort... I am also having another HBT member over!

Quick Reply