Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Planning, scheming, questioning my own sanity. (HERMS)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #11
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

So, you are saying the HERMS is a better way to go than the steam injection? The reason I brought it up is I am thinking of switching to steam after reading those threads and thought that Orangevango might also want to look into it. What do you think the downsides to steam might be? None are obvious to me right off. The steam guys sure seem enthusiastic about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 AM   #12
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
So, you are saying the HERMS is a better way to go than the steam injection? The reason I brought it up is I am thinking of switching to steam after reading those threads and thought that Orangevango might also want to look into it. What do you think the downsides to steam might be? None are obvious to me right off. The steam guys sure seem enthusiastic about it.
You didnt read my last post.

I said that steam is great. It doesnt fit MY needs. I also said that it may fit the OPs needs, so discussion on it may benefit him.

So I am not sure where the above response originated. I wanted to be able to set my MLT target temp and walk away for 60-90 minutes and know that I dont have to do anything. I also wanted to be able to mash out and do the same. I knew that if I was infusing with water or opening valves, then I would introduce a variable in the brewing session that I personally wanted to avoid. To avoid mistakes. Having a temp controller that assures the correct temps are hit on a set schedule, is what I needed.

Like my previous post said. I think steam is great. I also think that single infusion mashing in a cooler on a countertop in the kitchen is great too. But niether did what I wanted them to do.

The OP, as stated in my previous, post will probably appreciate some info on steam.

I never say that a certain system or method is "better" than another. That would be a wholly ignorant statement to make. Each of us base our wants, on our needs. We all have different needs and goals. I am not so ignorant as to say that HERMS is better than any other method, but it fit my wants, so it is what I needed.

Steam probably fits your wants, thusly, it is what you need. And for anyone to tell you that it is inferior, would be ignorant.

Last edited by The Pol; 05-11-2009 at 03:38 AM.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 981 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

While steam is definitely one way to go, I think it's not something to be taken lightly. We're already taking a certain risk dealing with a large volume of boiling liquids but steam is pretty dangerous for the garage mechanic.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #14
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
While steam is definitely one way to go, I think it's not something to be taken lightly. We're already taking a certain risk dealing with a large volume of boiling liquids but steam is pretty dangerous for the garage mechanic.
+1 I agree with BobbyM on that point. And I try to NEVER agree with BobbyM

Old 05-11-2009, 03:51 AM   #15
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Do steam with a flash boiler, no waiting, and 1 - 2 cups boiling liquid in entire boiler.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:52 AM   #16
Catt22
Recipes 

I agree there is some inherrant risk when dealing with a pressure vessel. I'm pretty sure the steam guys using the pressure cookers have left the burst discs intact for safety reasons. At least I hope so! I'm aware that steam explosions are not the only danger. There's also the potential for burns from the superheated steam. These systems appear to be operating at relatively low pressures which provides some comfort, but I do hear what you are saying.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:58 AM   #17
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
You didnt read my last post.

I said that steam is great. It doesnt fit MY needs. I also said that it may fit the OPs needs, so discussion on it may benefit him.

So I am not sure where the above response originated. I wanted to be able to set my MLT target temp and walk away for 60-90 minutes and know that I dont have to do anything. I also wanted to be able to mash out and do the same. I knew that if I was infusing with water or opening valves, then I would introduce a variable in the brewing session that I personally wanted to avoid. To avoid mistakes. Having a temp controller that assures the correct temps are hit on a set schedule, is what I needed.

Like my previous post said. I think steam is great. I also think that single infusion mashing in a cooler on a countertop in the kitchen is great too. But niether did what I wanted them to do.

The OP, as stated in my previous, post will probably appreciate some info on steam.

I never say that a certain system or method is "better" than another. That would be a wholly ignorant statement to make. Each of us base our wants, on our needs. We all have different needs and goals. I am not so ignorant as to say that HERMS is better than any other method, but it fit my wants, so it is what I needed.

Steam probably fits your wants, thusly, it is what you need. And for anyone to tell you that it is inferior, would be ignorant.
Sorry Pol, you're right. I got distracted and didn't read that previous post all the way through. Sorry about that. I don't agree that your opinion one way or the other on this would be wholly ignorant. I am not yet convinced that steam is for me, but it does have my interest at the moment. Obviously it's not for you and that's perfectly OK with me.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:00 AM   #18
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
Do steam with a flash boiler, no waiting, and 1 - 2 cups boiling liquid in entire boiler.

What's involved with building a flash boiler? That sounds interesting. I've heard the term before, but I don't know how they operate.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #19
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Have built and operated 2 flash boiler systems, both are built from 1/4" od SS tubing that was wound around 2" pipe and connected to 3/8" feed lines. Coils were spread 1" apart to allow interlocking (4 leaf clover pattern) and placed in 6" X 30" tube for hot gas containment. You could probably get better performance with 1/4" soft copper coils 10' long each. If you would like some pictures of the boilers here is the new one Picasa Web Albums - Kevin - New Boiler an..., same boiler does strike, sparge, and steam, all through mixer into mash tun. Strike water temp is hit within 60 seconds from cold start at .5GPM flow through boiler, performance would be better with copper tube though.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #20
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
Have built and operated 2 flash boiler systems, both are built from 1/4" od SS tubing that was wound around 2" pipe and connected to 3/8" feed lines. Coils were spread 1" apart to allow interlocking (4 leaf clover pattern) and placed in 6" X 30" tube for hot gas containment. You could probably get better performance with 1/4" soft copper coils 10' long each. If you would like some pictures of the boilers here is the new one Picasa Web Albums - Kevin - New Boiler an..., same boiler does strike, sparge, and steam, all through mixer into mash tun. Strike water temp is hit within 60 seconds from cold start at .5GPM flow through boiler, performance would be better with copper tube though.

Very cool. I think I came across those pics awhile back, but I didn't quite understand how it operated. Is there a thread on this somewhere?

Quick Reply