Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Planning Coleman Xtreme 70qt MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Moonpile
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Planning Coleman Xtreme 70qt MLT Conversion

Here's the cooler that I already have and which I am planning on converting to an MLT for batch sparging: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4807332

Soon to be new to AG, and have done 2 PMs using grain bags in a 5 gall Rubbermaid cylindrical cooler. We will probably mostly be doing 10 gal batches when brewing AG.

Has anyone else converted the 70qt Coleman Xtreme? Anything I should know?

A S/S braid certainly seems cheaper and easier than building a collection manifold. Is the manifold that much better that it's worth the effort?

For building the collection manifold, any thoughts on CPVC vs Copper?

I noticed pictures of slotted collection manifolds with the slots facing various directions, some up, some down and even one that was facing the side. Any thoughts on slot orientation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have that cooler but in the 82qt size.

I also went with the copper manifold. It's 3/4 tubing.

It has slots cut in the bottom side every 1/2 inch that I put in with a hacksaw.
That thing can drain damn fast when I want it to.

It works great for me. I myself would not use the cpvc. I know, I know, it "should" not be a problem but with the money spent and time spent to make the brew and age it and keg/bottle it. I'm not willing to take that chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I did the 52 Quart Extreme Cooler. If you plan on doing mostly 10 gal recipes and want to do some big beers, I think the 70 quart is a nice choice. I use a copper manifold in mine and it really works well.

If you do build a manifold, the cuts go down. Also, I'd suggest copper over cpvc. The copper parts you need are pretty cheap and you don't have to solder if you don't want to. In fact, you want to be able to take it apart for cleaning, Mine is about half soldered so that I can clean it easily, but there is no chace of it falling apart when in use.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
FSR402

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I did the 52 Quart Extreme Cooler. If you plan on doing mostly 10 gal recipes and want to do some big beers, I think the 70 quart is a nice choice. I use a copper manifold in mine and it really works well.

If you do build a manifold, the cuts go down. Also, I'd suggest copper over cpvc. The copper parts you need are pretty cheap and you don't have to solder if you don't want to. In fact, you want to be able to take it apart for cleaning, Mine is about half soldered so that I can clean it easily, but there is no chace of it falling apart when in use.
Same here. My end peices are sodered but not the 90* parts and the long rails. That way I can get it in and out and take it apart to clean it. I also do 10 gal brews unless it's a beer with an OG of 1.08 and higher, then I do 5 gal. but that's because the boil off on something like that is way bigger then my 15 gal pot.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 10-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
Moonpile

Recipes 

So what did you guys do for the "nipple" and valve? How does that attach to the actual manifold?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
The copper parts you need are pretty cheap and you don't have to solder if you don't want to. In fact, you want to be able to take it apart for cleaning, Mine is about half soldered so that I can clean it easily, but there is no chace of it falling apart when in use.
I was pretty surprised when I toured a microbrewery in Minnesota this year, and saw them putting the manifold into the mash tun. It was all copper, somewhere between 1"-2" diameter, and had probably 8-10 pipes running lengthwise. From what I could tell, not one of the fittings on the whole thing was soldered, so it was quite the juggling act, watching the guy put this whole thing together and get it installed in the mash tun.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 AM   #7
FSR402

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpile
So what did you guys do for the "nipple" and valve? How does that attach to the actual manifold?
Mine was a big pain in the azz and if I was to do it again I would find a way better way of doing it.
I have piece of pipe that goes thru the wall then there is a rubber washer then a stainless washer that is sodered to a piece that has a hex on it and I also sodered to the part going thru the wall. The outside has a threaded piece sodered on and a stainless washer against the wall a lager dia pipe slipped over the sodered part and another stainless washer then the ball valve is threaded on and pushes against the washers and larger pipe thus pulling the whole thing tight.

If/when I redo this I will go and get some threaded pipe (could not find any at the time I built this) and then just use that instead of the mess I have going. It works the way it is and does not leak so until it does I'll leave it alone.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Moonpile

Recipes 

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm looking forward to getting to Home Depot this weekend to fit out the parts. I'll post how it goes for me, for posterity.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have a 70qt Extreme. I go the Denny Conn way of just a mini-keg bung, piece of tubing, braid and valve. Works great and the thing completely drains with no lost wort.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Here's how I converted my 48qt cooler on the cheap.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42027

Quick Reply