Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Pilot light or direct spark?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
MajorWoody
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just bought a 9-volt battery powered piezoelectronic ignition module with remote ignition. I intend to make electrodes for my two burners. I want both to spark at the same time, and assume I will have to wire the electrodes in series since the ignition module only has one contact.
Anyone know?

I was intending to wire a momentary switch directly inside the square tubing of my brew tree sculpture, right next to the gas valves. Turn one valve, hit the button and voila, instant ignition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrin View Post
I have used DSI before and I am still trying to use it on my new system. The problem I'm encountering now is that when it sparks, it scrambles the Arduino I'm using. I'm sure with some shielding and isolation I'll be able to overcome the issue, but it's sure annoying right now.

On the standing pilot systems I've seen, the pilot is usually adding heat to the vessel as well.

I'm going to try using a hot surface ignition ignitor and see how that works.
I've fortunately have not had a problem with this in testing of my rig. I have the Honeywell modules and temp controllers mounted in the same enclosure. I made sure everything is well grounded and added some lead flashing that I wrapped around the temp controllers and the spark modules as best I could to reduce possible electromagnetic interference.

I've not actually brewed with my rig yet, but I tested it for over an hour while cleaning everything out and seemed to work fine.

Good Luck with your setup.

TD

Old 09-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #13
jcav
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is a good thread to read if anyone is thinking about installing the spark ignition system and has questions.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/spark-ignition-brutus-67922/

"Talent is hitting a target no one else can hit. Genius is hitting a target no one else can see."

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they really aren't after you!"

Quick Reply