Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Picnic v/s Tower tap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
new2brew1221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Picnic v/s Tower tap

so, i am going to build my first kegerator, but was thinking of trying to save a few bucks by using a picnic tap, instead of a tower tap like i would like to have. i cannot find any information online, so hopefully someone here will know the answer to my question, Can I build a kegerator with a picnic tap and then convert to a tower tap? and, is it worth it or is it better for me just to go ahead and drop the few extra bucks and build the tower kegerator?

Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sure you can.

I used a picnic tap for a couple of years just fine. It's a minor inconvenience to open the fridge every time but you get used it. Certainly nothing wrong with it.

My wife bought a tower a few years ago for my birthday. It's pretty easy to add it if you are willing to drill a few holes in the fridge.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

nothing wrong with picnic taps. i still use them in my 1 tap tower kegerator so i can have 2 more cornies on tap, til i can save up for a few more perlicks. but the downside is that instead of spilling a little beer in the drip tray, you are spilling it inside your fridge.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1342 View Post
nothing wrong with picnic taps. i still use them in my 1 tap tower kegerator so i can have 2 more cornies on tap, til i can save up for a few more perlicks. but the downside is that instead of spilling a little beer in the drip tray, you are spilling it inside your fridge.
I solved this problem with a plastic beer cup (like you used in college) and a short piece of double sided velcro. I cut a slot in the cup near the rim and threaded the velcro through it, and then wrapped it around the keg handle. Picnic tap goes in the cup between uses - catches the drips nicely.

...I am SO cheap!

Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

Each time you want a beer, you open the fridge. In comes hot wet air. You may not be saving as much money as you think. Doubly true if you then buy a dehumidifier to go in the fridge. (shank at $13, faucet at $12 vs dehumidifier at $21).

Bob

Old 06-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

Each time you want a beer, you open the fridge. In comes hot wet air. You may not be saving as much money as you think. Doubly true if you then buy a dehumidifier to go in the fridge. (shank at $13, faucet at $12 vs dehumidifier at $21).

Bob
You talking fridge or Freezer? Fridges are made to be opened. I don't have this problem in mine and my fridge is in the garage.

To the OP. I have picnic taps and would love to have perlicks, but its not in the budget right now. I made the decision to have more kegs and use picnic taps than have less taps and a nice faucet....over time you can upgrade

Old 06-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob
Hi

Bob
Was never an issue for me. Maybe if you keep the fridge outside in the hot ass summer. But most folks keep them indoors.
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 06-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
You talking fridge or Freezer? Fridges are made to be opened. I don't have this problem in mine and my fridge is in the garage.

To the OP. I have picnic taps and would love to have perlicks, but its not in the budget right now. I made the decision to have more kegs and use picnic taps than have less taps and a nice faucet....over time you can upgrade
Hi

If you have an expensive fridge (as in one that self defrosts) it won't be a problem. The cheap fridges I buy don't come with that "feature".

Bob

Old 06-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

If you have an expensive fridge (as in one that self defrosts) it won't be a problem. The cheap fridges I buy don't come with that "feature".

Bob
Got ya, that makes sense. I got my extra free for "Cheap" ($20 on craigslist) but it is a really nice fridgeaire that was only a few years old and probably worth hundreds if not a thousand new

Quick Reply