Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > perlick faucets... chrome or SS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Zeppman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default perlick faucets... chrome or SS?

Hey everyone,

I'm working on converting a freezer to a keezer, and am unsure on if I should go with the chrome or all stainless. The price difference (for a 6 faucet keezer) is well over $100. I'm working with keg connection, and the guy there thought that crhome was fine, and as he said, "your brew water sure isn't touching only stainless steel before it hits your kettle".

So what do you all think? Should I splurge on stainless? Is it really worth it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
RensBerserker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My brew water also isn't carbonated or acidic, so that theory goes right out the window in my book.

I went with all SS faucets, shanks, and tailpieces, mostly because I'm looking at them as an investment. I'd rather buy SS components once and use them for a lifetime than buy multiple chrome versions as they wear out. That's not to say that they will wear out for sure, but the peace of mind is worth it to me personally. I like the idea that I don't have to worry about unplated brass contacting my beers and yielding off-flavors.

I bought all my 525SS faucets, SS shanks, and SS tailpieces from farmhousebrewingsupply.com.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppman View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm working on converting a freezer to a keezer, and am unsure on if I should go with the chrome or all stainless. The price difference (for a 6 faucet keezer) is well over $100. I'm working with keg connection, and the guy there thought that crhome was fine, and as he said, "your brew water sure isn't touching only stainless steel before it hits your kettle".

So what do you all think? Should I splurge on stainless? Is it really worth it?
Generally around here when people refer to Perlick beer faucets what we really mean are the Perlick Forward sealing faucets in either the old model 425 or the newer models 525/575. Perlick also makes traditional rear sealing faucets.

Here is why the distinction is important. The forward sealing faucets that are most recommended are only available in stainless! (at least per their current product catalog)

So in this case, absolutely the forward sealing faucets are worth the extra money. If you could get forward sealing faucets in chrome finished brass, or even polished brass I'd have no problem with it but as far as I know you can't. If you are going to go with a rear sealing faucet to save money, you can probably save a little more and buy a different brand as well.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
jww9618
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Generally around here when people refer to Perlick beer faucets what we really mean are the Perlick Forward sealing faucets in either the old model 425 or the newer models 525/575. Perlick also makes traditional rear sealing faucets.

Here is why the distinction is important. The forward sealing faucets that are most recommended are only available in stainless! (at least per their current product catalog)

So in this case, absolutely the forward sealing faucets are worth the extra money. If you could get forward sealing faucets in chrome finished brass, or even polished brass I'd have no problem with it but as far as I know you can't. If you are going to go with a rear sealing faucet to save money, you can probably save a little more and buy a different brand as well.
They make the 525 forward sealing in plated chrome also. It's the only Perlick kegconnection sells right now.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is getting more and more interesting, and more confusing. I was told the 525pc is the chrome version of the 525ss, which are identical except for the material, chrome/stainless steel. I'm leaning towards stainless anyway, but I was also told that perlick was having issues with the SS faucets fitting the shanks, and they were leaking. Kegconnection told me the issue was fixed, but perlick increased the price to $39. Does this mean the cheaper ones from other vendors will leak? They are cheaper on other sites.

I'm also confused on barb vs mfl, and the gas line/liquid line diameter that I will need. Anyone have a parts list that I can just follow KegConnection seems great, but their prices seem a bit high on the perlick faucets/shanks.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Yes, the 525 comes in both SS and Chrome. Over time, you could have issues with corrosion with the chrome. In my opinion, SS is the only way to go. This is a keezer that is subjected to moisture...obviously, they are beer faucets. I say, save yourself the headache of having to swap them out later and go SS.

FYI: One problem though.....I have been speaking to the good folks at Keg Connection about getting another 525SS for my keezer and they discontinued selling them....temporarily for now. Evidently the last shipment of 525ss and 575ss faucets had a manufacturer's defect causing a poor seal between the faucet and the shank, leading to leaking issues. According to Todd, the IT guy there, they have had a bunch of them recently returned due to this issue and they have stopped selling them until Perlick fixes the problem.

I spoke with their sales guy earlier in the week and he said the problem should be resolved within the next couple of weeks based on recent conversations with the manufacturer. I can get them at my local HBS, but they are almost twice the cost of KC, so I'll wait until the issue is resolved and they start distributing them again. So basically, you can only get the chrome version right now through KC, because the SS one's were defective, but I would wait for SS. My 2 cents.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
camiller
Recipes 

Interesting because the catalog from Perlicks website only shows SS.

http://www.perlick.com/pdf-files/Tapping-no-prices.pdf

But if these guys say different so be it, wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer did a bad job updating their website.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 07-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
camiller
Recipes 

Also, you can run Wine through SS or plastic shanks/faucets but the acidity of the wine will break down the chrome pretty quick. Just in case you want the option of having a keg of apflwine on tap.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
camiller
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppman View Post
I'm also confused on barb vs mfl, and the gas line/liquid line diameter that I will need. Anyone have a parts list that I can just follow KegConnection seems great, but their prices seem a bit high on the perlick faucets/shanks.
Barb vs. MFL: if you think you will ever want to swap in a commercial keg go MFL! it makes it fairly easy to remove the cornie connectors and put on a commercial tap head that has been outfitted with MFL tailpieces. Something like this kit has most the parts: http://www.homebrewing.org/Kegerator...Kit_p_720.html (this might not be the best price, was just the first result on my Google search).

Line diameter: 3/16" ID for the beer line. Gas line doesn't really matter, some guys just use more beer line, other want a visual difference between and use a colored line. Most commercial kegerators have 9/16" ID red (or blue) gas lines.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, Todd said they would be getting their new shipment of the corrected faucets next week. I will probably be going all stainless now, but wow, this is getting expensive.

Want to ask everyone's opinion. Is a 6 faucet keezer overkill? Should I trim it down to four? My keezer has room for 6 (possibly 7) kegs. This will be a major upgrade, either way, from my single tap kegerator. I thought 6 was a good idea, because I plan on upgrading my brew system to a 10gal system this fall.

Quick Reply