The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Perf SS false bottom, rectangular cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Blitzcraig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Perf SS false bottom, rectangular cooler

Thinking about fitting my SS braid rectangular mash tun with a false bottom so I can fly sparge. Anyone know if this will be reasonable?

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Perf...teel+sheet+304

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
TheLastDamnBatch
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Generally speaking that'll work, but how are you going to form it? You need to make it cupped or dome shaped in order for the sweet wort to flow through it and out your connection. In other words it can't just sit flat on the bottom of the cooler.

Do you plan to have it sit on the curved lip at the bottom of your cooler? What about sealing the edges (maybe not really necessary)? It may work, especially in cooler with a drain recess...

22 gauge should support a reasonable grain bill but you may want to place 2 or 3 support studs (offsets like a computer motherboard) in the center spaced evenly apart.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
Blitzcraig
Recipes 

I thought I'd raise it off the bottom of the cooler with standoffs (like your "support studs", but taller). I would raise the perf sheet above where I have the bulkhead and SS braid now. Might just leave the braid in for additional filtering.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I would get it slightly larger than needed, bend it right down the center into a "roof" shape (barely clearing the SS braid), and trim it to fit in the tun perfectly. This would provide less dead space, and keep more wort in contact with the grains than elevating the entire FB.

Keg #1: Empty
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: Bavarian Hefeweizen

Fermenter #1 Thor's Hammer

Superbowl champions.

Quick Reply