Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Pasta roller grain mills

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
JollyMon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Pasta roller grain mills

I know there are a bunch of threads here about pasta rollers turned grain mills. One question I haven't seen answered on any of the is...if you tried this pasta roller grain mill project are you still happy with the results now looking back?

Basically, if you did this project can you give your opinion as to whether it was worth it for you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
Tandor
Recipes 

I used one I made for about 6 months. Eventually I had to re rough the rollers almost every time I brewed. I also never really trusted the crush. My new grain mill will be here Monday.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I made one and it served me well for a handful of batches. As with the above poster, I had to re-abuse the rollers regularly, and the consistency of the crush sucked. It was also very slow. I got a Barley Crusher and never looked back. On a large grain bill, I could sometimes spend an hour crushing grain.

My advice to a person looking to get into their own grain crushing is to save the money on a pasta roller to put toward a serious grain mill. If you brew frequently and your time is worth something to you, you'll recoup your expense a hundred times over.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 02-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
JollyMon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Pernox, thanks for the advice. I won't be out a penny to try this as I have one already that has been collecting dust for years.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
mrpeccator
Recipes 

I used a pasta mill for my first 13 all grain batches. It tore the husks a bit and the efficiency dropped slowly and steadily with each batch. Eventually I upgraded to a BC. Needless to say, I am much happier with the quality of the crush and consistent efficiencies. Plus sparging is a breeze. But the pasta mill got me into all grain and bulk grain purchases so I can't say it was without its place. Plus I made some really good beer with it and that is main goal.

Quick Reply