Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > OT, but beer related DIY project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default OT, but beer related DIY project

EDIT: I probably should have put this in drunken ramblings or another thread, but I figured you DIY'ers would get a kick out of this. I plan to put it into service, dispensing Ed's apfelwein and cranberry mixers.

Many of you know I went back to school to get my engineering degree. I just started out, and as required I had to take the intro to engineering course at my community college.

As part of the class, we learned about micro controllers and simple circuits. Our final project? A robot, that had to do something. My partner and I decided on a robot that would not only pour you a beer, but the perfect beer. It measures the volume of your glass and then pours you your beer based off of your input choices.

The video below was taken tonight after we got the bugs worked out. I've got straight water in the kegs cause it would be to expensive (or I'd get to druk) testing with beer!

Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
rcm_rx7
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

haha, that is awesome! So it would measure and pour perfectly in different size cups as well? Very cool project.

Fermentation Chamber Project

Old 04-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Nice one John. Next you need a robot to serve you so you can leave your lazy (I mean hard working student) ass on the couch.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Pretty cool, but the only exercise I get is getting my a$$ up to get another beer.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

John, that is a great project. BTW, don't you think you went a bit overboard on the intro course project ????

That is better than half your classes senior design projects will be.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

omg... that is so awesome!! A beer pouring robot IS the beginning of the end for fellow couch potatoes!!! What would be even cooler is to string all your projects together if you have a chance. Like one to load your fridge with glasses, keep inventory of how many glasses you have and to place the glasses on the turntable. Another to pick up the full glass of beer and put it on a convayor belt which would carry it to different seats at the bar...... or to your couch..... Maybe even incorperate a dishwasher so you push a button to carry your glass back to be washed and put back into the glass inventory.... You could even get the digital gauges which tell you how many oz of your keg you've used so it can alert you to replace your kegs.... HAHA!!! then maybe one to replace said kegs... The possibilities are endless... This is definately up there on the coolness scale. Grats on the sweet build!!! (best part is if something goes wrong, which it always does with custom built equipment, damn gremlins..., you are the one who built it!!! Don't need to call anyone! Just get out your screw driver and tweak a setting!!) Enough of my drunken ramblings. Off to bed!!! Next time I pour a glass I'll definately raise it to your robot and team!! Can't wait to see what else team Alot comes up with!! Cheers!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Last edited by Grimsawyer; 04-29-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
John, that is a great project. BTW, don't you think you went a bit overboard on the intro course project ????

That is better than half your classes senior design projects will be.
It's funny you said that, our professor was joking with my partner and I about the fact that there is no one on our team to really "hold us back" when needed... I remarked "Kind of like a solid fuel rocket with no tail fins?" ... you get the idea...

So yea, We went way overboard on the project, but hey.... after the "robot show" next week, most robots will be disassembled, and parts put on the shelf.... mine will be put into service serving apfelwein and cranberry juice to the ladies

gotta build to last
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown

Old 04-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
Nice one John. Nesx you need a robot to serve you so you can leave your lazy (I mean hard working student) ass on the couch.
have you been peeking in our windows?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
mZnthebend
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Great project! When I was in college I built a fridge that would dispense one canned or bottled beer out the side and send it down a ramp to you on the couch. I built it at home on Thanksgiving weekend. A few months later I used it for the mechanical portion of a controls project. We rigged it to a remote control to key the system as well as an LED counter that let you know how much was left in the fridge. Fun, but not nearly as intricate as your project. Well done.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee John View Post
have you been peeking in our windows?
Yes, I'm watching you sleep in class right now.

Quick Reply