Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Oster Fridge Nightmare

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #21
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think the moral of this story for folks converting new mini fridges, is to first plug them in and see if they will chill your beer to adequate temp before drilling any holes or moving wires.

Use picnic taps for a week or so and see how it works. If not, you can still return it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #22
Jif
Recipes 

I was using the fridge for about two weeks for just chilling beer before all of this happens, but that doesn't make your advice any less important, EdWort!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 AM   #23
MSUConrad
Recipes 

When you put the fan in did you splice into existing wires or run new ones for the fan? The easiest way to put the fan in would be to leave the fridge as is. Then cut the tip off of a cell phone charger. Wire that to a $3 computer fan, and instant fan.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 AM   #24
Jif
Recipes 

I spliced in to the thermostat and used a 120V fan.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
AZROB
Recipes 

Did you drill any holes in the side of the fridge for co2 lines or to mount the thermostat? I have been using the Oster for a while with no problems until I "got smart" and tried to put the co2 lines thru the side. then heart the infamous pssssssst. then off to best buy to get a new fridge.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #26
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I put in a oversized tube up the tower and had issues with cooling so I turned it off and the temps settled to ~38 with my Oster. You've disconnected (or turned off) the fan blowing air up the tower right?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #27
Jif
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZROB View Post
Did you drill any holes in the side of the fridge for co2 lines or to mount the thermostat? I have been using the Oster for a while with no problems until I "got smart" and tried to put the co2 lines thru the side. then heart the infamous pssssssst. then off to best buy to get a new fridge.
I just ran a line right through the drain hole and around to avoid exactly that problem. At one point after turning the fridge off (right before it stopped working) I heard a trickling noise. Not like "pssssst" release of pressure noise, but like a light waterfall. My current theory is maybe when I moved up the thermostat and used a self tapping screw on the inner wall, maybe I forced a really small leak, and that was coolant dripping down the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I put in a oversized tube up the tower and had issues with cooling so I turned it off and the temps settled to ~38 with my Oster. You've disconnected (or turned off) the fan blowing air up the tower right?
How big was your tube? I'm using 1 3/4" bilge pump hosing. I'll give it a shot with removing it, but given the fact that the compressor is running and the fridge is at 60F, I'm thinking there's probably no more coolant in the lines.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #28
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

From memory it was an 1 1/4" clear tube and I had issues keeping the fridge cold. I turned the fan off and problems went away. I think I'm using a 1/2" now. I figured it was a circulation issue. Before tossing the fridge it's worth just turning the fan off.

I also completely turned mine off and heard water pouring, like you described and after getting rid of the large tube and letting it sit overnight and plugging it back in everything was fine. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #29
Jif
Recipes 

Well, I know what I'm going to try. I'll update as soon as I find out what happens.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 AM   #30
BubbleGutz
Recipes 

Im an a/c tech and started out in refrigeration.I picked up a mini fridge last week that was being thrown away that had a pin hole in the evaporator.I fixed it and now my beer is cold.When it comes to mini fridges It costs more in labor for someone to fix it than it does to buy a new one.

Quick Reply