Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Oster Fridge Nightmare

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 AM   #11
Jif
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben25 View Post
I just hooked up an external thermostat to my fridge, but the way I did it was by taking the factory thermostat out, and hooking the 2 wires out of that thermostat up to the external. Worked like a charm.
So you were literally able to completely bypass the original thermostat? This is very intriguing to me. It's unplugged for the night, I'm hoping when I turn it on in the morning that it's functional again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 05:20 AM   #12
antsp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your compressor is 120V then you should be able to pull the internal thermostat out of the loop and put in one of these with little or no problems.

But you need to know if the compressor is running at all, and if it is are the evaporator coils getting cold?

Ant

Last edited by antsp1; 01-27-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
Jif
Recipes 

Unplugged it for the night, plugged it back in this morning. After 3 hours, still running @ 60F.

The compressor still appears to be running, as it's warm. I'll check and see if I can feel the evaporator cooling lines. I assume that would just be feeling if the sides are cold?

My dad called a buddy of his who owns a refrigeration business, and the prognosis wasn't good. He says with these compact fridges, there's very little you can do, as they're pretty much closed systems. Crossing my fingers!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #14
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If the compressor continues to run but is not cooling, then you can pretty much rule out the thermostat. Sounds like you are low on refrigerant. Someone should be able to recharge it I would think.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
Jif
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
If the compressor continues to run but is not cooling, then you can pretty much rule out the thermostat. Sounds like you are low on refrigerant. Someone should be able to recharge it I would think.
That's exactly what my dad's fridge buddy said, only he also said that you can't add freon to mini fridges, as they're closed systems. This is a pain, as the fridge is only a month old.

Are those Sanyo's people thought so highly of still around? I'm unaware as to how I could've caused this problem myself after such a short time.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Sounds to me like you got a faulty unit. I would take it back under the 1-year warranty...

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
Jif
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
Sounds to me like you got a faulty unit. I would take it back under the 1-year warranty...
With a hole drilled in the top and a moved thermostat? I feel like they'd be somewhat hesitant to take it back. Looks like I'm buying a new fridge.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jif View Post
With a hole drilled in the top and a moved thermostat? I feel like they'd be somewhat hesitant to take it back. Looks like I'm buying a new fridge.
OOPS, Sorry. I missed that part. But you are probably correct..... unless you could convince them that the delivery guys did it while trying to mount it in your cabinet.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
Jif
Recipes 

I have a feeling that'll be a bit of a tough sell...

There's a Danby @ Sam's that looks somewhat intriguing, and people here seem to have been able to make it in to a two cornie deal. I got the Oster at Best Buy when I still had my discount for around $140, but I'm not about to pay $210 for a fridge that failed that quickly.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
Ben25
Recipes 

If you have the box that it came in, just put it back in there and take it back. Most of the time they don't check inside....

Also, here's what I did with my fridge. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/honeywell-temp-controllers-ebay-not-mine-97505/

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Quick Reply