New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Oster Fridge Nightmare

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Jif
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oster Fridge Nightmare

Yesterday I began fooling around with getting a fan box running in my Oster kegerator (which I STILL haven't been able to get anything tapped from) to push air up to the tower. After getting it working perfectly, on full cooling settings it's holding a chilly sixty degrees. Did I ruin the thermostat? Am I stuck with getting an external temperature controller, and would that even work for my fridge? This whole situation is rather disconcerting.

UPDATE: Turning the thermostat seems ot have no effect upon temperature. The fan is still getting powered, so there's power running, and the compressor is still making noise. unsure as to what this all means, and whether or not an external thermostat would help.

Last edited by Jif; 01-26-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did it get down to fridge temps before installing the fan? Did you make any other changes? If you've moved it did you lay it on it's side or keep it upright?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Jif
Recipes 

It got down to fridge temps even AFTER installing the fan. I had it running on about 3-4 (out of 7) on the thermostat and it was running in the mid to high forties. I cranked it up to 7 and left it for awhile, just to see how cold it would get, and now no matter where I put it on the dial, it wont go below 60. Not sure what could've happened in that meantime there.

I moved it before the fan was installed, and it did have to sit on its side in the back of my sedan. When I got it to the location where I worked it on (fridge stays down at college, brought it back up to St. Louis to work on it with my dad) it worked flawlessly.

Also, after some reading on temp controllers, it seems like one probably won't fix my problem. Am I correct in the understanding that you just crank the fridge on max and all they do is alter the power running in to the box? If so, that won't help me, as mine running on max seems to do a whole lot of nothing.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have not used this sort of fridge before but you may want to try turning it off for a day, it may have frosted up some coils such that it won't properly refrigerate anymore. It can then defrost and you'll be back to you normal cooling. I had my full size fridge do this one time when the door didn't seal well.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1 on the unplug it and let it thaw. A temp controller will work as long as your compressor is still good. It has it's own temp sensor, and will turn the compressor on/off based on it's reading, totally overriding the factory thermostat.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
.......A temp controller will work as long as your compressor is still good. It has it's own temp sensor, and will turn the compressor on/off based on it's reading, totally overriding the factory thermostat.
Unfortunately, I don't think it will work in his case. The external controller would keep power on trying to get it down to set temp. However, if the internal t-stat is choking, it will kick off the compressor before the temp gets down to what he wants...... Just like having it plugged into the wall receptacle....
Is that explanation as clear as mud?

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I thought one of the main features of an external controller was that it was based on IT'S temp probe, not the freezer/fridge... If your statement is true, I can still see them working on keezers, but what about all of them I've seen used for lagering? I am probably just not well versed, and you are correct; especially since I've never looked into them... My misconception?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #8
Jif
Recipes 

Based on what I've researched, it doesn't directly override the thermostat. The existing fridge is set on max and it plugs in to the thermostat, and all the temp controller does is alter the power coming in to the fridge to make it fit with the thermometer that is attached to the temp controller. Hence, won't work in my situation, where setting the original fridge thermostat to max wouldn't result in any cooling.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #9
TopDog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jif View Post
Based on what I've researched, it doesn't directly override the thermostat. The existing fridge is set on max and it plugs in to the thermostat, and all the temp controller does is alter the power coming in to the fridge to make it fit with the thermometer that is attached to the temp controller. Hence, won't work in my situation, where setting the original fridge thermostat to max wouldn't result in any cooling.
What he said. They way the external thermostat works is that it can control the temperature so that it stays NO LOWER than the refrigerator will cool on its maximum setting. It does this by turning the power to the fridge off and on as the internal temp goes below and above the temperature you set. (Not sure if I was real clear here, but I gave it a shot.)

Brew like your head's on fire.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
Ben25
Recipes 

I just hooked up an external thermostat to my fridge, but the way I did it was by taking the factory thermostat out, and hooking the 2 wires out of that thermostat up to the external. Worked like a charm.

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Quick Reply