Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > The Original, Hullababrewery... Our first effort with a 2-Tier Stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
pale_ale-froman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default The Original, Hullababrewery... Our first effort with a 2-Tier Stand

Okay, I've been on these forums over a year now without a question or picture post, so I wreckin' it's a good time to finally get my (our) first build pictures and story up here. We started brewing in Dec. of 2010 with our first cut open keg shell and extract kit from Austin Homebrew. The game has changed quite a bit since then, now with a 2-tier All-Grain brewstand.

To get us started, here are some photo's of the actual stand build.
We choose to make this first stand wood. This was for several reasons, one, since we had never built one before, we figured this would be this easiest medium to make changes to, two, none of us owned a welder at the time of construction, and three cost, plain and simple.

imag0021.jpg   imag0022.jpg   imag0026.jpg   imag0031.jpg   imag0035.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
tdogg
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

looks good so far!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
Jones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice brew stand!
Whats up with the bowling ball in the pot?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
pale_ale-froman
Recipes 

Default continued...

I honestly couldn't tell you what pound test those casters were, but I know I wasn't 100% on them based on looks alone, another one of our group (engineer, left) assured me they would be fine. To date, never had any issues with them and they roll great when needed.

We did need to test the weight capabilities, so...

Initially mounted the pump directly under the table top surface. We knew little about the pumps, but apparently they do not like to be mounted with this orientation. Since we had already cost our silicone hose, and there wasn't much room to spare we ended up making a U-shaped bracket out of 2x4's to mount the pump 180 degrees. I have since been told that we could have just rotated the pump head. We didn't know that at the time of build and just went with it, our solution works fine for now.

imag0033.jpg   imag0041.jpg  

Old 02-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Man... you trying to grow a bowling ball tree?

Nice work BTW... That is a pretty long span for 2x4 lumber. May thing about adding a set of casters at the other set of legs. Or... move the existing casters and cantilever the lower platform.

EDIT**** Nevermind... Wow.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
pale_ale-froman
Recipes 

I apologize too, as I do not know how to insert text between my pictures, if someone could fill me in, that would be great.. ha

But here is some work on our keggles and other stainless fun.

imag0049.jpg   imag0006.jpg   imag0052.jpg   imag0058.jpg  

Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
pale_ale-froman
Recipes 

False bottom fun... So we weren't satisfied with typical solutions for a false bottom in a keggle, so we made our own. It's a full 15" diameter stainless FB that is hinged (hinge and screws stainless). Again, this is yet another example of why having an engineering buddy in college proves valuable.

imag0056.jpg   imag0012.jpg   imag0059.jpg   imag0062.jpg   imag0010.jpg  

Old 02-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
pale_ale-froman
Recipes 

Haha...I knew someone would say something about the bowling ball when I uploaded these. I'm an avid bowler personally, one of my old roommates found that ball on the side of the highway here in town and thought I would like/want it for some reason, ha.. So, it is now the backyard bowling ball, the dogs don't find it very entertaining so I guess it wound up there, ah.

Some more pictures...
So my engineering friend graduated and got him a big boy job in the petroleum industry in Houston, way to go Stephen! With that gave him the ability to use some of their pipe bending equipment in their shop for me and we got this really awesome sparge arm. He bent two different length down tubes, one for 5 gallon, the other for 10 gallon batches, I know not necessary, but it's pretty cool. The 10 gallon batch attachment is not pictured.

imag0095.jpg   imag0096.jpg   imag0097.jpg  

Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
pale_ale-froman
Recipes 

Most recent picture of the whole stand completed. This is also where you can see the U-shaped bracket made for the pump.

imag0076.jpg  

Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
pale_ale-froman
Recipes 

So not pictured with the false bottom are 4 feet we made for weight support, I'll get a picture of that on here sooner then later, not sure if it's needed, but it's nice to know that they're there and that it won't collapse.

This brew stand in this condition has gone through 10 or so brew sessions. It's about time for some change!

I have already ordered and have been getting in parts for a HERMS coil to be placed in the HLT. So within the next few weeks that will be installed.

After that...it's time for sight glasses. That's another item that we've had issues with. Many of the available sight glass options don't seem to meet the standards that they should be required to meet minimally, so thought's of our own fabrication of that have come up. Although, currently I like what MoreBeer is offering. Any suggestions on this? I'll be honest and admit I have not yet searched the forums on this topic.

Quick Reply