New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Opinion on routing control panel electrical/sensor wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Opinion on routing control panel electrical/sensor wires

I've built a completely detached control panel. I have two pumps, and two solenoids that I'll plug in along with 3 temp sensors. I'm trying to figure out how to cleanly route all this wiring. I was digging through some threads to see what others are doing but honestly I didn't find much. I have contemplated just some of that gray pvc conduit with conduit hangers and route the wiring through that. Any ideas are appreciated! This is for a BRUTUS style stand.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
LordUlrich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What I would do is cable tie (ie zip tie) the wires to the frame, along the back of the stand. Alternatively you could run the wires through the steel of the frame (could be a challenge but no visible wires)

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I'm an electrician, so I have access to rigid conduit/fittings. What ever you do, just make sure you stay away from the heat sources as much as possible.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Personally, I would make sure that everything that exits the panel is jacketed cable, no single-conductor wiring. Route it away from heat sources and use tie-wraps. Then there won't really be any need for conduit.
Here is an older picture of my system to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 06-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks - I definitely will not have anything single conductor. I will have 3 conductor power cables with IEC connectors on the end, and 4 conductor telephone cable for my sensors.

Quick Reply