The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > One Barrel Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #111
DrPhilGood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I figured that's how it works. so you have a 1.5 inch ferrule on the barrel and the dip tube is 1 inch so it fits through the front? Nice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #112
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Nice build. Just so you know, a 42 gal kettle is going to be wicked tight for a full barrel boil. I've got 40 gal kettles and there's no way I can do a full volume boil. Two extra gallons might make a difference, but I'd hate to have a boil over of those proportions. What I usually do is split my batches between the BK and HLT so I can make two different beers. Either that or I drop back to 25 gallons. Anyway, after your first brew you'll get it dialed in. I'm interested to see how your CFC works out. I have a 100ft 1/2" immersion w/ whirlpool. In the winter when the tap water is below 60F I can chill 25 gallons in ~45 minutes. Originally, I was going to get a plate chiller but I didn't want to deal with possible clogging issues. Have you thought about what you're going to use for a BK filter? If you plan on using pellets, you'll probably need a hop spider or something. I use whole hops only and get away with using a chore boy SS scrubie pad over the dip tube which makes it simple. I used pellets once without a bag and ended up having to rack the wort.

You're doing pretty good money wise. I wish I'd gone electric when I put my rig together. Good luck finishing the build.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #113
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
Nice build. Just so you know, a 42 gal kettle is going to be wicked tight for a full barrel boil.
Totally agreed. My pre boil volume is close to 41 gallons to net 1 BBL out of the fermenter (based on the buckets I used to use. A conical will have less loss). My BK is 60 gallon with allot of surface area and I boil off 3 gallons an hour. A 90 Min boil and I lose 4.5 - 5 gallons. You are going to be dangerously close to the top and will have to throttle back for hop additions. Not to mention the space your hops will take up in the kettle can be substantial in some brews (as much as several gallons of space for moderate hop brews) I use pellet hops and they swell up into a large balloon in the hop spider. I recirculate during the boil to get better hop utilization through the lid into the hop spider. You do not want 40 gallons of wort to boil over...trust me been there with a 60 gallon kettle.. I would plan to do a split boil as suggested to net 1BBL to be on the safe side.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #114
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yea after I started the build, I figured this would probably be perfect for 25 gallon batches. Going to be doing the first brew in a few weeks. I can't wait. Seems like it's been soo long since I brewed. Hope I remember how!

I use a hop spider for all of my hops. Infact, I have to make a new one for this build. Thanks for the reminder.

As for chilling. I think what I'm going to do is run my HEX coil as an immersion for 15 minutes or so, then run it through the Counterflow chiller. This should get me to where I need to be. After having a plate chiller previously and seeing what came out even after a thorough cleaning, and having a rash of infected batches, I could only trace it back to that. Hopefully this method will work ok.

For the first brew I'll be doing a 25 gallon batch of Jamil's Evil Twin. Then splitting it with friends. I'm taking 10 gallon, Someone else will take ten and the other will take 5. Hoping to take some good pictures during the process.

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 12-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #115
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilGood View Post
I figured that's how it works. so you have a 1.5 inch ferrule on the barrel and the dip tube is 1 inch so it fits through the front? Nice
You got it! It's a pretty slick design.

Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #116
MaxOut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
As for chilling. I think what I'm going to do is run my HEX coil as an immersion for 15 minutes or so, then run it through the Counterflow chiller. This should get me to where I need to be. After having a plate chiller previously and seeing what came out even after a thorough cleaning, and having a rash of infected batches, I could only trace it back to that. Hopefully this method will work ok.
I just started using a plate chiller and run wort through it for that last 15 min of the boil. I too am scared that the plate chiller still may harbor some bacteria. As you mention even after a good cleaning I still get a little crap here and there.....I sure hope I'm not heading down that road. Seems like a counter flow would have similar potential for harboring bacteria as well? May want to do the 15 min sterilization with the boil using the counter flow just to be safe. Great system by the way enjoy watching it progress. Keep up the good work!

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #117
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 30

What I do for my plate chiller is after the mash tun is cleaned, I run Oxyclean through my pump and plate chiller until it hits at least 180 degrees for 15 minutes. I flush both ways starting with the out first. Then Flush with fresh water. When I have 15 minutes left in the boil, I start to recirc the wort. After chilling is complete I run oxyclean both ways through the chiller.

So Basically my chiller is cleaned twice and sanitized twice before each use. I usually get hop particles when I flush after each time. I agree it is hard to clean, but I haven't had a problem doing mine this way.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #118
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I used to clean it after every brew by back flushing with boiling water. Then before running wort through it I would recirc the boiling wort through it for 15 minutes.

Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #119
MaxOut
Recipes 

I clean mine while cleaning the rest of the system by back flushing with boiling water with PBW and then rinse. I use water left in the HLT from sparge and heat, run through all lines, pumps and chiller for 30 min. I maintain a min of 190 for 15 min then rinse and blow dry with compressed air.

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 12-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #120
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

official first brew day will be the 20th of January! Going to have my brother in law wire the 220 line next weekend.

Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Quick Reply