Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Old freezer to fermentation chest w/ light bub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Old freezer to fermentation chest w/ light bub

I did this over the weekend: I hauled my very very old upright freezer to the basement, where the temp is pretty steady around 58-62.

I wired up a $12 120v line thermostat (like what you'd use for baseboard heat) and a porcelain light fixture w/ a 15 watt bulb.

It works fine: the thermostat isn't calibrated very accurately, but after some trial and error I have it holding steady at about 68 right now. I've going to be brewing some Belgians soon: this will really help hold that temp a little higher (I might shoot for more like 74 for the saison--I might need a higher watt bulb to hold that temp.)

The bulb fits perfectly in the chiller compartment of the old freezer so that the beer is protected from the light.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds like a great setup. Regarding calibrating your thermostat, is it a mercury switch? If so, some of them can be calibrated by simply levelling it (or moving it slightly off level, if it is a bit off).

It is far from necessary, but I picked up an indoor-outdoor digital thermometer, the kind with a small probe on a wire. It records maximum and minimum temps over time, which I found really useful for adjusting my fridge. Just a thought.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply