The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Old Box Fan = Motor for MaltMill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Old Box Fan = Motor for MaltMill?

So I was thinking, I have an old box fan.. if i took the blade off of it and attached a fly wheel, would I be able to use it to hook to my malt mill..

I think the target I want is 200-300 RPM, but If i turn it to high i could get about 500 RPM out of it. I need to crunch some numbers and do some testing. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this yet

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If it's a box fan like I'm picturing, I doubt it would have anywhere near enough power. Now if it's a blower motor from an HVAC system, that'll be about 1/2 hp and have plenty of power.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 75

It won't have the torque. I recently hooked up a bench grinder to mine, even that didn't have the power to start the grind.........I'm not giving up though!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 06-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can stop the blades on those fans with my hand, even when it's at full speed. This tells me that it would be grossly underpowered for the task.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

IMO the motor is too small unless you gear it way, way down to say 10 - 20 rpms at the mill. Better choices for a motor at most scrapyards I would imagine.

I often wonder why so many go to great lengths to motorize a mill, when you can buy a heavy duty drill for peanuts. Sure, there are some great builds out there that are very professional, but to purchase pulleys and belts for an old wahing machine motor???

fifty bucks here and done.....
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93632

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 06-26-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Big belts and pulleys seem to have a Steampunk attribute that enhances the visual impact of the mill. A used surplus gear motor from ebay or wherever is a good choice for the most elegant configuration. A 1/2" cheap corded drill motor is probably the most economical and easiest way to motorize a mill. One could use u-bolts to clamp down the drill motor on a platform or table and connect to the mill with a flex coupling of some kind for a more permanent installation. With a custom mill stand, you could probably conceal the drill motor for a cleaner appearance.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I want to motorize because I'd like to get it down below 200 RPM, None of my corded drills will run at that speed with any torque. My cordless screwgun will but I want to build this into a cabinet where I can just flick a switch.

I also want the gearmotor because it will actually fit inside the cabinet, otherwise I need a big pully sticking out the top, looks good for some builds, wouldn't be good for mine.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
I want to motorize because I'd like to get it down below 200 RPM, None of my corded drills will run at that speed with any torque. My cordless screwgun will but I want to build this into a cabinet where I can just flick a switch.

I also want the gearmotor because it will actually fit inside the cabinet, otherwise I need a big pully sticking out the top, looks good for some builds, wouldn't be good for mine.
My mill runs at 115 RPM which is generally considered slow, but I'm very happy with it. I'm guessing it will mill about two pounds per minute or so and produces very little dust. That's plenty fast for me and the lack of a dust cloud is very cool.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Laughing Gnome,

Quote:
It won't have the torque. I recently hooked up a bench grinder to mine, even that didn't have the power to start the grind.........I'm not giving up though!
If you put pulleys on it, what about using a cam/idler pulley that you engage after the grinder motor gets up to full speed. You could put it on a handle and latch it once it's engaged. Luck - Dwain

Old 06-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
lapdog
Recipes 

Here's a picture of mine (with the guard removed)
I'm on the same page as Wilserbrewer. Harbor Freight. I know they're not everywhere though. Rather than buying just the motor the small table top drill press was onsale for $40. So I bought that took the motor off and all of the switch assembly. The belt and pulley I picked up from Graingers. That was about $15. The plywood was free scrap from a local cabinetmaker.

I havent clocked it exactly but I think with the gear ratio it spins in the 200-300 rpm range.

I have a few more pics on my website

and at Picasa Web Albums - Chris - beer projects

I built a slide door so that I'm not starting the mill up with grain against the rollers. I can also control the flowrate.

Quick Reply