Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Nostalgia Electrics KRS-2150 modification

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
stooges56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Nostalgia Electrics KRS-2150 modification

I recently picked up a second hand Nostalgia Electrics KRS-2150 kegerator. Before actually measuring the tap tower diameter I went ahead and purchased a double tap. I now see that the double tap diameter is larger than the pre-existing tap. Does anyone have experience with these kegerators and would possibly know if there are refrigerant lines running along the top? I don't think that there are but I would just like to make sure before I go cutting a hole into it. Thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooges56 View Post
I recently picked up a second hand Nostalgia Electrics KRS-2150 kegerator. Before actually measuring the tap tower diameter I went ahead and purchased a double tap. I now see that the double tap diameter is larger than the pre-existing tap. Does anyone have experience with these kegerators and would possibly know if there are refrigerant lines running along the top? I don't think that there are but I would just like to make sure before I go cutting a hole into it. Thanks for any help!
Look up the corn starch and vodka test. It's not a 100% surefire way to tell, but it certainly can help. You basically rub a mixture of corn starch and vodka over the top, then let the fridge run a good cycle on the compressor. The theory behind the test is that it'll dry in certain areas (where the coolant lines are) and stay wet in other areas (where there are no lines).

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 09-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
stooges56
Recipes 

I tried that last night but didn't find it too helpful. I couldn't tell if I put it on too thick in some areas and couldn't really tell what was really dry and what was wet.

Quick Reply