New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Noob Electrical Question 240v

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Mose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Noob Electrical Question 240v

Yet another question to help me plan my build, control panel this time.

I'm pulling 240v which will first pass through a 40 or 50amp GFCI breaker, probably a spa panel attached to my rig so I can take it anywhere I have a source and not worry about the GFCI issue. This way I can brew in the garage or basement/back deck without purchasing two GFCI breakers for my home panel.

The 240v enters my CP, Hot leg 1 (L1) attaches to a distribution block to pull my 120 stuff, such as pumps, PID etc... Hot Leg 2 (L2) goes directly to the 240v receptical that will recieve my element plug from the BK.

(FYI: 5500 RIPP, PID, 2 pumps, HERMS, future plan to add PID and RIMS, Brutus 20e)

That gives me three distribution blocks, Neutral, Hot, Ground, and a hot L2 going to the receptical. No need to have a second hot distro block right?

Fuses as discussed in other threads between the hot and the instrument. BIG Freakin GFCI before any power gets to the box. Everything Grounded.

I've been reading about wiring, volts, watts and amps on tons of threads and google found refrences but want to make sure I'm getting the idea down correctly.

Thanks for all the help I've gotten so far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Hunlock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

If you are only taking one hot leg to you element, than it is only 120v.

Maybe I am missing something, and not reading it right? You plan on having 2 hot legs to the element, right?

Old 05-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunlock View Post
If you are only taking one hot leg to you element, than it is only 120v.

Maybe I am missing something, and not reading it right? You plan on having 2 hot legs to the element, right?
Sorry, didn't go through the whole deal. Yes a second hot from the Hot Distro block (powered by L1) would be pulled to the element receptical for the 240v I need. This is at least my understanding. I'm not puting wire to anything until I fully grasp the concept.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Hunlock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Makes sense now.

Don't see why you wouldn't want to add a second distro, though...Maybe balance out your devices?

Last edited by Hunlock; 05-13-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: can't spell

Old 05-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

your concept sounds good. You're just piggy backing one hot leg to a terminal strip to you can pull it to other components.
Are you only going to have 1 240V element? 120 in the HLT? Might well go big in the HLT too since you have the power.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
your concept sounds good. You're just piggy backing one hot leg to a terminal strip to you can pull it to other components.
Are you only going to have 1 240V element? 120 in the HLT? Might well go big in the HLT too since you have the power.
It'll be a Brutus 20 two vessel system. So the BK will be the HLT. The plan will have a mounted HERMS in the BK/HLT that will also serve as the IC for cooling. (easily removable for cleaning of course)

So yes piggy backing to pull power for pumps and PID. Is terminal strip the correct terminology? I was searching ebay under a couple terms the other day.

Last edited by Mose; 05-13-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Clarify

Old 05-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why not just run a 3 pole distribution block?

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner65 View Post
Why not just run a 3 pole distribution block?
Only because I haven't seen one or know what one is. I'll start looking it up and see how it works.

I am assuming it combines the three distro blocks/terminal strips I was talking about into one unit for wiring?

Edit: I see, wire straight to the distribution block and pull my hots from there, how many I need, and where I need them. Central hub of power to split from. So pull two hots to my element, and single hots to my 120 parts, and not jumpers or anything needed. Am I getting that straight now?

Edit: So you are saying use one of these, link below, two hots in, one neutral in, and then I have up to 12 hots at my disposal and 6 neutrals, and I don't have to do the terminal blocks and wiring that goes with them. I am assuming everything else will be commonly grounded to a grounding bar of some sort with this scenario.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230472972749&fromMakeT rack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Last edited by Mose; 05-13-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Schooling up

Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #9
Nitrousbob
Recipes 

just always remember you have a live wire when your using 240 and breaking only one side. you can always use a 2 pole contactor too, just as a rule i treat all voltages the same even when half the 120 side is neutral. and why run the extra amperage with the 120 stuff, i would keep it all one voltage if it were me, i thought they made those pumps in 240 also.

Keg #1
Empty =(
Keg #2
Brown Ale
Fermenter #1
Robust Porter
Fermenter #2
Hop Scotch Ale
Fermenter #3
Candi Porter of the Damned

Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
jfkriege
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you are getting it now.

Power comes into the distribution block. Pull off the two hots for the main element. Pull off a hot and a neutral for any 120V device.

I show my new control box layout in the Equipment/Sanitation forum under Electric Modular Brewery. It might be useful to see what is going on there. I will try to update it with a wire picture as well.

I must admit I am a little confused by:

Quote:
(FYI: 5500 RIPP, PID, 2 pumps, HERMS, future plan to add PID and RIMS, Brutus 20e)
Are you looking to only build the kettle at first? I would think the Brutus 20e would be the first step and then you would add a RIMS and/or HERMS coil later. Perhaps I just dont understand.

Quick Reply