Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Non-electric pump recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Beyowka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Non-electric pump recommendations?

I would like to make the move from gravity feed to single tier, but remain untethered to a wall outlet. thinking manual crank pumps would be the best fit for cost, control, etc. but don't know of any high-temp food grade manuals. maybe there are propane-powered pumps? or other physics-based fluid transfer options?

any thoughts or links would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
schmagy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if you are determined to be free of the wall, your best bet is going to be a diaphragm pump. It will also likely be air powered, though you may get lucky and get one with a manual pump.

They are used extensively in chemical handling and processing including industrial size washing machines (think Hospital, hotel) and thus made from materials that will likely be food safe available in a wide range of flows, and easy to disassemble.

I would never trust a used one though, so you are likely going to drop $350 or more for a new one.

Flows will also tend to surge a bit.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=air+diaphragm+pump&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=air+dia&gs_rfai=

Old 04-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Wan2brew
Recipes 

you could use a drill powered pump like this guy does http://home.comcast.net/~midnighthomebrewers/brewladder.htm

Old 04-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Neat link! Here is the pertinent info from their:

"There are many drill-powered water pumps out there, but I found one which is uniquely suited to our needs because it has a tolerance of water temperature up to 220°. The pump I found costs $15 plus shipping, from www.northerntool.com. Go to the site, enter "drill pump" in the search field, and you'll go right to it."

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Also he says this:

"[One word of advice: if you use this pump, which has now served me very well in the four (4) years since originally building the BrewLadder in 2004, you'll want to disassemble it and completely de-grease the insides. It is packed with white petroleum grease, which will gradually find its way into your sparge water and your beer. It is simple to break the pump down, give it a good soak and rinse in some P.B.W., and reassemble.]"

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 04-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Great info! I had seen this pump before and wondered if it would work in a brew rig.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Beyowka
Recipes 

Great stuff - thanks RC! i think i had read that the "food-grade"-ness of the construction material of this type of pump was undocumented, and Northern Tool was unable to substantiate the temperature tolerance factor when I called just now. but the brewladder guy seems to like it, and it's cheap enough for a gamble.

The heat and food-grade issues might be mitigated by brass construction, as seen here: http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item1458.htm - any thoughts on that? I figure it probably comes all gooped up but as long as I could disassemble to clean it out and substitute any non-food-grade seals, i think it should be okay...

also, i would try to fit the drive shaft with a hand crank of some type to substitute for the drill, but i don't know how feasible that is because i've not yet seen one in action. welcoming thoughts on that idea as well.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could use one of those pumps for everything except for the "cold side", since they're almost impossible to sanitize. The pump head on march pumps (at least the ones people use for home brewing) is sealed from the motor and is driven via magnets. The seals around the input shaft on those drill-driven pumps can harbor nasties that will get into your wort. Not a concern pre-boil, since that's going to kill everything anyway.

If you want to pump after the boil, the diaphragm pumps schmagy mentioned are pretty much your only option, except for building your own peristaltic pump.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Beyowka
Recipes 

Can a diaphragm or other "air-powered" pump head be driven by a manual pump, eg. bicycle pump or foot pump? or is an electric air compressor required to produce the pressure needed to power the pump?

Old 04-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You can make a manual pump similar to the auto siphon but isn't it easier to just collect in buckets and manually dump?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply