New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > No-build fermentation chambers (?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
RobbyBeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default No-build fermentation chambers (?)

Hi all,

Has anyone been able to put together a fermentation chamber with no (or minimal) drilling/building/wiring etc.?

For example, I'm thinking something along the lines of a chest freezer with a pre-wired Ranco two-stage controller and a heating pad, with all the cords just running out under the lid.

I'm really impressed by the builds I've seen on here; however, many of them are beyond my current level of skill/patience.

Thanks,
R

I don't want to relax. I'm too worried. But I will drink that homebrew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Brewskii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 61 Posts

That is exactly what I use. I purchased the Ranco unwired but any HBS online will have one pre wired so all you have to do is plug it in.
Only issue I have is some condensation building up on the walls which is easily wiped off. If you want to you can program the Ranco to control to heat and just plug a hair drier into it and hang it in the freezer ( unplugged freezer) if you are looking to get warmer than ambient (I'm thinking of the people in MN fermenting Saisons in there garage freezer in january)

Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I also did the same thing with my now keezer but i used a dual stage with the freezer controlled by one side and a 100W light bulb on the other outlet. worked just fine as stated by Brewskii. Go for it.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
kegdawg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
(I'm thinking of the people in MN fermenting Saisons in there garage freezer in january)
^^^ hollaaaa...basement temp never above 68. Swamp chillers are perfect.

Primary 1: Lambic
Primary 2: Dwarven Warrior Oatmeal Stout
Primary 3: Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale
Primary 4: Mojave Red

Bottled: Winter Warmer, Milk Chocolate Stout

Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
RobbyBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear this is working for some folks.

I'm assuming you just close the lid on all the cords and still get a good seal (?).

I also plan to drop an Eva-Dry in there to help with the condensation (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFD2).

I don't want to relax. I'm too worried. But I will drink that homebrew.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Brewskii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 61 Posts

Yes, I only use my for cooling so I have only The RTD inside and I put it in the back side between the hinges of my chest freezer between the lid and chest. Some people run them through the drain plug but I would think you would need to uncouple the RTD to do that and run it through, wires first from the inside and it sounds like you don't want to deal with that. I have had no problems as the wire on the sensor is less than 1/4"
Just remember to give some lead room in there so you can get the RTD against your ferm or you'll be controlling the air temp and not the beer temp

Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
NewBrewJew
Recipes 

A little Building, but all very simple and very very cheap:

Ultra bastard son of fermentation: buy the largest rubbermade container you can find at walmart. buy a sheet of 1/2" insulation board (4x8 ft. @ lowes like $8). Buy one roll of insulation "bubble wrap" ($12 @ lowes.)

line the bottom and inside of the container with the insulation board, then cover the board with the bubble wrap for extra protection.

next, wrap the outside and lid with bubble wrap. then boom! your done. from here you can use a temperature controller and whatever heat source you desire.

Note:if you are fermenting with carboys you may have to build a collar with the insulation board to raise the lid a few inches.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I took a stand up frost free freezer, took out all the shelves but the top one, and drilled 1 hole for my temperature probe.

Lots of wasted space but it was a free freezer so who cares.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
ODI3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used a danby small mini fridge and hooked up temperature controller. It fits either a wide 6.5 carboy or 5 gal carboy. Unfortunately with the 6.5 gal you need to use a blowoff tube instead of a airlock(which doesnt make any difference to me).

I own two carboys, both are different shapes. One is taller, green with ribs, the other is clear slightly shorter, wider without ribs. The wider one fits while the taller one doesnt.
I heard somewhere that the wider one may be older from Italy, while the green one is newer from Mexico. But I could be wrong.

If your interested in my setup, let me know. Ill post some pics on how things fit.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 89

You can get a chest freezer and a pre-wired temp. controller like this. Then get a heater of some sort, maybe one like this then just plug everything in and you're done.

Quick Reply