Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > New site, new stand, new projects...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
ThePearsonFam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default New site, new stand, new projects...

Hi everyone,

I am working on an amatuer brewing site for information sharing and for fun (trying to learn how to build sites). If you want to provide feedback, please feel free (I'd like the help). Thanks.

Along that same line, I hope to build my brew stand in the next couple weeks. I'll post the deisgn and photos at the site when able. I'd also love pointers and advice on design improvements if you have any.

What is your favorite DIY project you've done? I have an issue with wanting new projects.

Thanks, Rob

Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearsonFam View Post
What is your favorite DIY project you've done? I have an issue with wanting new projects.

I think my favorite build was doing my all-electric brew rig. It took a lot of time and a fair bit of money but it really came together in the end and works well. I don't have to drag out a bunch of equipment when I want to brew, just turn on the water, turn on the element and get the HLT going.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Uhm....I don't want to come off as rude, but considering you are new here, this feels like some backhanded form of spam...I mean, the first thing on your page is this...

Quote:
That's it, it's time! It is time to help home brewers around the world come together in one place. Please help get people together by spreading this web addy to all your home brewer friends. My goal is to have a resource page that provides guidance, downloads and discussion opportunities. If you have something in mind that will help improve this site, then please drop me an email or complete the simple survey.

But, isn't that what we are already doing here?

SO you want us to help you compete with us?????

Every now and then we get someone in here with some pie in the sky idea, or looking for something FROM us, like a recipe or something right off the bat, in their very first post...Without first giving anything to the community.

We even had some guy on here a few weeks back who wanted us to give him a recipe so his wife could win an award....someone else asking us what kind of brewing tool we "need" so he could patent it and invent it...not knowing a damn thing about brewing...another one wanted to design brewing software, and wanted us to help him...not even being aware of all the brewing software already out there, some of it created by our very own members.....and some of it free.

It really has sort of an "I don't really care about you and what you have going on here, I just want to take advantage of you," feeling....Especially if you spent some time around here participating and being a part of the culture BEFORE HAND (like some of the vendors on here, they don't just try to sell to us, they actually give back to the group with help, wisdom, insight, and advice...not just trying to take something from us without first giving something back, like us getting to know you, and you getting to know us....

If you spent more than 5 minutes here, you'd have already realized that the whole point of this website is sharing your recipes, ideas, gadgets, and life outside of brewing. Thats why people actually PAY to support a place such as homebrewtalk.com.

Like I said I don't wanna come of like a hardcase...but "Hi I don't know you, and I haven't spent enough time here to get to know what a wonderful resource this is, but I plan on duplicating it, and want your intellectual property." Kinda just strikes me as a bit...wrong....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But, isn't that what we are already doing here?

SO you want us to help you compete with us?????

If you spent more than 5 minutes here, you'd have already realized that the whole point of this website is sharing your recipes, ideas, gadgets, and life outside of brewing. Thats why people actually PAY to support a place such as homebrewtalk.com.
I agree that the post did seem kind of spam-y, but are we really at a saturation point where we no longer need any homebrew forums? Sure HBT is a great site, but there are 4-5 others sites I also frequent, and each are valuable in their own way.

I may have taken your post completely wrong, but it sounded like you were saying that we have this site, and no one else should start another one, because we already have this one.

If someone wants to start their own site, more power to them. Hopefully it works out, if it turns into an active forum (such as this one), awesome, I'll be there. If there is only 1-2 posts a week, well, that'll just work it self out in the end.

As far as my favorite DIY project, it is hands down my brewing stand. It's the project that never ends, as I'm always tweaking, redesigning or modifying the dang thing to my current mood that week. Maybe someday I'll be satisfied with it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
sundaybrewingco
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Long Live Hbt! Huzzah!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewJeff View Post
I agree that the post did seem kind of spam-y, but are we really at a saturation point where we no longer need any homebrew forums? Sure HBT is a great site, but there are 4-5 others sites I also frequent, and each are valuable in their own way.

I may have taken your post completely wrong, but it sounded like you were saying that we have this site, and no one else should start another one, because we already have this one.
I'm saying, rather than starting his relationship with us off with "I want to take from you, your ideas." That perhaps he should give something to us first, like becoming part of our community...getting to know us, sharing some of himself with us, even sharing some of HIS know how...before he announces that he wants to take from us.

Then when we know him, I'd be all about supporting his website. I've gone to and support regularly, plenty of websites that our members have created....Bobby M's Videos on youtube, Lustreking brewing, Austin Homebrew supply, Grinder's Island.. Places that people who have roots in this community have put up....

I love new brewing sites, and other places.....I've probably linked more info, or cited more stuff from other sites here than you have.

BUT before someone comes in and says he wants to take from us, I think he could at least spends some time getting to know us......

I've cited all my reasons in the first post above....I've seen it done here a few more times than you evidently have, and maybe I am a little protective of this site....

I learned so much here, that rather that run off and take all that I learned on here, and use it for my own personal gain, I decided to give back to the community by helping new brewers, and by freely sharing my knowledge, and my "inventions" and DIY's first in the community that I am a part of......

Capice?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Very good points Revvy, it is all a give and take

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-14-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Greetings,

Thank you for the well stated replies. Honestly, I am not trying to take anything away from this site, nor am I trying to be a user or spammer. I apologize if I came off that way. I am simply trying to get ideas from people that like these sites since you've been around them longer than I have. My intent is to make it more cohesive between the main page and the forums for designs and photos. I've just started placing my build photos on the main page and the parts list. Again, I apologize if I came across that way.

Clearly I struck a nerve...

Thanks

Last edited by ThePearsonFam; 05-14-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The first thing I would do is change the name of your site. Maybe it's just me, but I find the name somewhat distasteful and it seriously lacks class. IOW, it's uncool. I could be completely wrong on this. It wouldn't be the first time as others can attest!

I kinda have to side with what Revvy has posted. Nothing wrong with your concept and if your site develops as you hope it will, many of us will probably visit and participate.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

The whole fact that you started this thread on the 5th and here it is the 13th and you are only now responding, and haven't posted anywhere else here, sort of goes to show really how little you care about this site....

I mean there are very few people who post only once every week on a forum, if they are part of the community. Most people who feel a part of this place wouldn't let a week go by without checking in, expecially if they started a thread.....

Usually this place get under people's skin, and they can't NOT be a part of it, even if they are uber busy, they try to touch base, at least once a day or so....

Cat is a good example...he's been here since Jan. and he has a fairly developed postcount presence on here....

Closed Thread

Quick Reply