Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > New single tier rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
purplehaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default New single tier rig

I just wanted to show off my new brew rig that is finished with the exception of the gas manifolds and pump splash shield. A buddy of mine billygoat1, a lurker on this forum also did all of the welding for me in my driveway. He will be building his own rig next since he is done experimenting on mine. The steel is all 1 1/2" x 3" x 1/8"

I could not have completed this project without a ton of research on this board and others. From a simple jig for cutting my keggle to design options and materials. Thanks to all who posted their ideas, successes and pitfalls.

Here is what we had after a long day of cutting, welding, and changing plans.

If I were to do it all over again I would have just bought the bajo burners without the stands and saved some money.

Added some solid rubber wheels from an old tractor so I can move the rig around like a wheel barrow. Two keggles will fit on the bottom shelf between the burners.

There is a lot of talk on this forum about the differences between propane and natural gas orifices so here is a side by side pic. The NG is on the right.

Here it is all painted up, high temp black on the top and regular maroon on the rest.

I needed an insulated shelf for my cooler MLT so I used a piece of 3/8" cement backer board under some aluminum diamond plate.

One last pic of the rig while testing the burner today. Suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Last edited by purplehaze; 03-17-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Boy, I though mine was beefy. Looks good. What does it weigh?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Atl300zx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i like the insulated center tray.

Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 03-18-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
purplehaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default brew rig

Thanks for the comments. This rig is definitely no lightweight. I have no idea how much it weighs but it’s still manageable. This is probably due to me not being a light weight either.

We used this particular sized steel only because that was what billygoat1 had at the time. Using that sized steel resulted in some design changes such as no vertical supports in the middle and less horizontal support top and bottom.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
purplehaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default splash shields

I bent up some march pump splash shields out of some left over 1/8" aluminum diamond plate. I know its overkill but I had to buy a half sheet so I have a bit more scrap than I know what to do with. I may paint them black to break up glare.

Anyway the smooth exterior one was for practice as you can see the mounting flanges are bent in the wrong direction. I don't think they came out too bad considering I eyeballed it and used a sledge hammer.

The only down side is I will have to cut the plug off of the pump cord, drill a hole and feed the cord through in order to mount it. The only other thing I can think of is to cut a slot in the shield for the cord and slide it on.

Quick Reply