I just wanted to show off my new brew rig that is finished with the exception of the gas manifolds and pump splash shield. A buddy of mine billygoat1, a lurker on this forum also did all of the welding for me in my driveway. He will be building his own rig next since he is done experimenting on mine. The steel is all 1 1/2" x 3" x 1/8"
I could not have completed this project without a ton of research on this board and others. From a simple jig for cutting my keggle to design options and materials. Thanks to all who posted their ideas, successes and pitfalls.
Here is what we had after a long day of cutting, welding, and changing plans.
If I were to do it all over again I would have just bought the bajo burners without the stands and saved some money.
Added some solid rubber wheels from an old tractor so I can move the rig around like a wheel barrow. Two keggles will fit on the bottom shelf between the burners.
There is a lot of talk on this forum about the differences between propane and natural gas orifices so here is a side by side pic. The NG is on the right.
Here it is all painted up, high temp black on the top and regular maroon on the rest.
I needed an insulated shelf for my cooler MLT so I used a piece of 3/8" cement backer board under some aluminum diamond plate.
One last pic of the rig while testing the burner today. Suggestions and comments are welcomed.
Last edited by purplehaze; 03-17-2011 at 07:04 PM.
__________________ Jaded Spirits Brewery
Primary: Dennis Hoppier III
Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red
Thanks for the comments. This rig is definitely no lightweight. I have no idea how much it weighs but its still manageable. This is probably due to me not being a light weight either.
We used this particular sized steel only because that was what billygoat1 had at the time. Using that sized steel resulted in some design changes such as no vertical supports in the middle and less horizontal support top and bottom.
I bent up some march pump splash shields out of some left over 1/8" aluminum diamond plate. I know its overkill but I had to buy a half sheet so I have a bit more scrap than I know what to do with. I may paint them black to break up glare.
Anyway the smooth exterior one was for practice as you can see the mounting flanges are bent in the wrong direction. I don't think they came out too bad considering I eyeballed it and used a sledge hammer.
The only down side is I will have to cut the plug off of the pump cord, drill a hole and feed the cord through in order to mount it. The only other thing I can think of is to cut a slot in the shield for the cord and slide it on.