New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > New RIMS system teardown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #31
Lucky_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
If you look at the diagrams on the first page of this thread, my design is RIMS with just one burner on the BK/HLT
sorry, thought you might have been changing direction and I missed the burnner on the parts list. Could still do wood with just a metal frame around the burners?

I am a fan of wood, it just looks warmer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #32
Soviet
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At this price point, SHOULD I be looking at electric instead?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #33
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you have 240v available, I definitely would.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #34
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
At this price point, SHOULD I be looking at electric instead?
FWIW I did my electric build (link below) for quite a bit less than that. You can easily spend that on an electric system. It all depends on what you are looking for. I found the electric let be brew indoors in the winter and allowed some temperature automation that I couldnt have had before.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #35
Soviet
Recipes 

I looked at your thread... I'm dead-set on investing in a Stout Kettle and Mashtun, so mine would probably run quite a bit more than yours in cost (my guess). Those two things alone (as you can see from my parts list) would cost nearly $1K.

Also, I know nothing about circuit schematics, soldering, or any of that. Not even sure what tools I'd need. I'm sure I can rig some pumps together, but I don't know that I want to learn electrical engineering 101. I even considered buying the Braumeister all-in-one unit for $2900 (50L), but I can see it has some limitations and some issues users have discussed in these forums.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #36
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

for circuits its pretty easy... just connecting components together PJ on here is a great help for creating schematics to do what you want. you could probably also find one on the electrical section that would do what you want.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #37
onthekeg
Recipes 

Putting together an electrical system is about like putting together a model car. Follow the diagram and put the parts together. People have the listings of the parts required, its pretty straight forward. It will surprise you when you are completed that you could actually do that.

You already have the elec element for the RIMS, its easy to add on to that.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #38
Soviet
Recipes 

What about this whole 240V business? Don't I need to convert something for that? See what an newb I am for this whole electrical thing? If I WERE to hypothetically persue this, I'd be curious to explore the idea of doing a single-vessel system like the braumeister or the DIY BrauBushka (http://arniew.wordpress.com/). Other than efficiency, would there be any other advantage to doing an electric build for more than one vessel?

As you can tell, I'm a bit intrigued, but I have reservations about the ways in which the brewing process is changed. Can you for instance get good enough rolling boil with an electric system? Am I going to have to create a whole ventilation system around it? I appreciate all your comments thus far.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #39
onthekeg
Recipes 

Boils are quick and easy with an electric kettle. I have to run my 5500w element about 60% when the kettle is full with 15 gallons.
If you look around on the electric brewing forum here, there are many different ways to do the same thing.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #40
Soviet
Recipes 

Folks: I've been brewing for about 3 years with over 70 or so batches under my belt. I'm looking to invest some more money into my craft. If you've followed this thread, you know I'm contemplating building a 2-vessel, 1 pump rims system with some high-grade stout kettles.

If you look at the price/parts list of the build mentioned in previous posts in this very thread, I'm looking at spending $2700 for a quality brew system. I know I could build that system for a lot less, but I purposely avoided keggles/megapots that I would have to drill/weld/attach threaded fittings. I want IMPECCABLE sanitation and am willing to pay extra to achieve it (stout kettles have those sweet sanitary fittings).

My question is this: considering I'm looking at spending nearly $3000, why shouldn't I order a 50L Speidel Braumeister immediately? Seems like the repeatability factor with that unit would be second to none, and there's been some great reviews. The only limitations I can think of are as follows:

• I've heard efficiency can be lower than with multi-vessel sytems because of no sparge. If I want to do a high gravity beer, however, couldn't I just do a 5 gallon batch on the 50L unit to fit enough grain?
  • One can't really control the boil/boiloff rate with the waterheater—I'm ok with this as long as I can get a decent rolling boil. Any thoughts?
  • Can't whirlpool the wort as well (I'm guessing) so perhaps you'd get a wort that isn't as clean?

I appreciate all your comments—even the highly critical ones. With the BrauMeister's footprint, the fact that it fits in the frigging dishwasher with the top shelf removed, It would probably cut my brew-day in half, while also allowing me to brew inside makes it a pretty irresistible idea. Talk me out of this if you can.

Quick Reply