Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > new mash turn problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
mfp03001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default new mash turn problem

A few weeks ago I made a new mash turn that I thought was going to be a great upgrade for me. I went from a 5 gallon round cooler to a 40 qt. rectangular one. I used a braided stainless steel hose casing cut in half as the false bottom I guess you would call it. See picture below. In the 5 gallon one I have PEX tubing with a ton of small holes drilled into it which worked fine but was just too small. Anyway, I have used the new one once and I ended up with tons of grain sediment in wort. See second picture below. As you can see once it was settled the grain sediment took up about 0.5 gallons in my fermenter. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem with braided steal hose, and any advice about possibly fixing it. Also I get a terrible efficiency of about 55% while with my old mash turn I was at about 70%. My grain bill was also 37.5% wheat. I have never used wheat before in grain form, I am not sure if that was what was getting through or had anything to do with it. I did have .5 pounds of rice hulls to help with the lautering. Thanks for any advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

vorlauf until it runs clear next time.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
mfp03001
Recipes 

After it was almost completely done lautering the first time though I poured all the wort back though the grain bed a second time to try and remove some of the sediment. I forgot about that until you said something this was almost a month ago. I don't know if that made any difference or not. Or if I should have done it again I am sure I was not as patient as I should have been letting it run though the second time knowing me however.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

definitely recirculate your wort till it runs clear. the grain will form its own filter.

also with your set up i would be a little worried about uneven drainage of the grain bed. there is a big gap in the middle where the grain will just sit and compact. the grain will drain fastest right by the braid and that grain will get washed of its sugars the most while in the middle there will be very little water flow and that grain wont get as washed. this could be where your efficiency problem is coming from.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
also with your set up i would be a little worried about uneven drainage of the grain bed. there is a big gap in the middle where the grain will just sit and compact. the grain will drain fastest right by the braid and that grain will get washed of its sugars the most while in the middle there will be very little water flow and that grain wont get as washed. this could be where your efficiency problem is coming from.
I've always used manifolds, or a false bottom, but aren't there a lot of people who batch sparge using a single stainless steel braid?

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
mfp03001
Recipes 

Ok thanks I could pretty easily add one more in the middle for next time. I have extra hose still just have to replace my 3 way with a four way fitting.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp03001 View Post
Ok thanks I could pretty easily add one more in the middle for next time. I have extra hose still just have to replace my 3 way with a four way fitting.
If you are batch sparging, that is totally unnecessary. Channelization and uneven drainage are only an issue if you fly sparge. Such issues are largely irrelevant if you batch sparge (in fact, I suspect that channelizing is a GOOD thing if you batch sparge).

Anyways, to answer your original question, your problem was with your process not your equipment. Spend a bit more time lautering and allowing your wort to clear (i.e. vorlauf) and that will eliminate the grain material in your fermenter.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
Refry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would it be possible to use a very large straining bag in the MLT to also help out on filtering? I'm not sure if that would effect the mashing in a negative way or not.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
mfp03001
Recipes 

Well thanks for all the suggestions definitely it seems like my process is the biggest problem then. I do only have a few all grains under my belt.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
brianj434
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It also looks like the ends of your braid remain open. It might be possible for small grain particles to enter through those ends even though they are frayed up. Try pulling the ends taught so they reduce in diameter, then tuck them back into the braid tube. Repeat this process until the end is closed. I did this and was able to get a plug on the end of my tube that doesn't let particulate matter in, also it doesn't poke me when cleaning.

If I didnt explain that clearly enough let me know. I can probably do a better job.

Quick Reply