Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > New Keezer Build noob questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
maseline_98
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Keezer Build noob questions...

I'm trying to do a new keezer build and want 3 tap system I've decide on the freezer(13 cubic ft Fridgedeer.) that will run through the wall of my garage.

I'm going to be putting a 1/2 of miller lite, 1/4 slim from a local micro brewery, and 1/6 of something else. I do not plan(at least yet) to be brewing anything for myself. I sized the inside of the freezer at lowes and they will fit.

I called the brewery and they said they use a ball-lock style fitting, also called "American Sanke". I'm not certain what I need for this.

I was looking at these:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=413
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=411

I was wasn't sure which one I needed. I was reading on here that 10-15' lines might be better, but I didn't know if that was opinion or fact.

Would it be cheaper to buy the parts separately?

I wanted to put a digital thermostat on the outside(preferrably on the tap side of the wall, but if I cannot do that, then I would use the collar), but have no idea where to buy one of those and how it can read the temp of inside the freezer. How does connection work so the thermostat shut off the freezer?

Does it matter what size Co2 tank I use? Should I stick with 5gallon or go with something larger?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Couple issues I see for you:
1. I hope you are not planning on a chest style freezer for this build. A 1/2 Bbl is EXTREMELY heavy... you will have a very difficult time getting it into the freezer.
2. Not sure what your local brewery means by ball lock, aka American Sanke. They are two different types of fittings. The Miller will use a sanke fitting though and the 1/4 bbl will use a sanke. Double check with your brewery if they are using a 1/6 sanke keg or are they using the old Pepsi soda kegs (which are ball locks, not sanke).
3. The temperature for your digital thermostat will be read via a probe. The connection to shut off the freezer is usually just an extention cord plug- the thermostat really only disconnects power to the freezer (you plug the freezer into the temp controller and the temp controller plugs into the wall.) You will likely have to wire the extenstion cord ends into the thermostat though.
You can get away with as small as a 5lb tank. You should be able to serve several kegs from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Most commercial beer is served with Sanke D taps like you have in the second link.

That beer line is most likely a little short. I would want to go with 10' at least.

You would probably want to do a collar, if you don't need height I would go with a 2x4.

This is the build for a temp controller with a digital display: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
maseline_98
Recipes 

Well...I got everything setup for the keezer...I have one more question that I couldn't find the answer to:

What settings do people use for stc1000 for the keezer build?

Temp? Delay?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You could set the temp to whatever serving temp you like. Cellar temp is in the mid to low 40sF I believe. Most fridges are set to around 33-38 F and with out freezing you can usually store beer down to about 28F. I keep mine at 40F.

For the delay I'd give it a good 5-10 minutes to prevent any possible overworking of the compressor.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Keep mine at 39*F and have the delay at 5 minutes not to over work the compressor it just prevent the compressor from starting up with a high head pressure (i.e. if power is interrupted the compressor can't restart for 5 minutes which will allow the pressures between the high and low sides to equalize) so the compressor do not have to draw more amps to start then it has to.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
maseline_98
Recipes 

I got everything up and running...Thank you for everybody that has helped in the process...I really appreciated it and the beer is flowing!!!!

Quick Reply