LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
TommyBoy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New HLT - complete

Just finished up on my HLT on Sat.

I am about 90% finished with the new rig and it's about time! I brewed a partial grain late last year on the frame when I only had 1 of me new kettles and I vowed to not brew again until the rig was finished because it was such a pain in the butt not having all the gear needed. I now just need about a half dozen clovers with 1/2" barbs and then a PID/asco/related equipment for HERMS.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your rig looks beautiful! Can you tell us a little more about it? Have you brewed on it yet and do you have temp control on the HLT or plan to add it?

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

That's a great looking rig. Looks like some good craftsmanship with a solid design & excellent vinyl signage!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Your rig looks very cool. Question: Why do you have a stir motor on your HLT? It may be very common. But I haven't noticed that before.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice looking setup. I see an advantage of the wide pots over kegs, they take less vertical space! My 3 tier is up in the air.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Your rig looks very cool. Question: Why do you have a stir motor on your HLT? It may be very common. But I haven't noticed that before.
It is a HERMS, so he has the stirrer to keep the water temp homogenous for better control. Heat is applied at the bottom, the coil removes heat and he loses heat through the sides of the kettle... a stirrer will keep the temps homogenous.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
Your rig looks beautiful! Can you tell us a little more about it? Have you brewed on it yet and do you have temp control on the HLT or plan to add it?
I brewed once as a partial grain but it was a pain without everything I needed so I am waiting until it is fully functional as a 10gal all grain unit. This weekend I will have my clover barbs and will give it a dry run to make sure that there are no issues. I will start brewing again in a couple weeks without a temp control but I will be adding this asap.

The frame is my first welding experience. Pretty fun. I have 3 15gal B3 kettles; HLT has 50' of 1/2" copper, 150rpm gear motor, 3" SS prop, and SS hardware with disconnects. The Mash has a copper ring for HERMS and a SS arm for sparging also on quick disconnects. (I really like the SS arm so I kept it and the copper ring.) I replaced the dip tubes in the HLT and Mash with homemade ones so I could draw a little more out of each kettle.

I recently received a pro pump and pro chiller and have a pro o2 unit on it's way. I might go with a disposable o2 tank for now.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
To get an accurate temp/prevent temp stratification of the h2o during HERMS.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

Very professional looking setup. Most of the rigs around here look like they came from somebody's garage (which they did, so there's nothing wrong with that) but this one seriously looks like it came custom built from a factory.

Very sharp, man.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Very professional looking setup. Most of the rigs around here look like they came from somebody's garage (which they did, so there's nothing wrong with that) but this one seriously looks like it came custom built from a factory.

Very sharp, man.
Thanks. It was modeled after the B3 sculpture.

It was really fun welding it together as it was my first attempt at the art. I had so much fun that I wish I had a brew buddy that lived near and wanted one so I could build another.

Quick Reply