The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Needing a Little Help on Filtration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
SCSF336
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Needing a Little Help on Filtration

Hi there everyone. Im not necessarily a rookie at making a good brew anymore but Im looking into trying to filter my beer before bottling. Any tips on how to do this on the cheap?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Filtering should not be necessary. But if you really want to do it there is no real cheap way since you need a new filter for every 5 gallons.

You need some yeast in the wort for bottling so it will carbonate so if you filter too much you will just have flat beer.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
insubordinateK
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Filtering is most likely not necessary. You can do a few things to help clarify your beer.

1. Adding Irish Moss during the last 15 minutes of the boil will help precipitate insoluble proteins.

2. Also performing protein rests on less modified grains will help reduce beer haze by helping to break down proteins and starches.

3. When transferring wort from the boil kettle to the fermentor, try to avoid transferring cold break/trub.

4. Racking to secondary to remove most of the liquid from sediment and cold crashing before bottling/kegging.

5. Finally, for some reason, I find that kegging my beer produces the most clarity probably due to not bottle conditioning which produces a very high liquid to sediment ratio.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
SCSF336
Recipes 

Any hope for me if I dont use a secondary fermenter? What about using a filter tip for my racking cane?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I agree with insubordinateK, filtering is not necessary. I would add that a good cold break also helps so invest in a chiller if you are still using a ice bath.

I don't see why you aren't using a secondary. That is probably the easiest thing you can do to clear your beer except for irish moss. A secondary will also improve the flavor which, IMO, is more important than clarity anyway.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
SCSF336
Recipes 

I just read from Cheesefood's older threads in the past that the secondary wasn't really necessary so I went all cheap-o and saved the extra cash for more experimentation. I'll remember that in the future and see about buying a glass carboy for secondary use. Is the ice bath a quick, easy way to clear up the beer for now?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #7
bodhi314
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You'll likely run into some resistance to the necessity for a secondary to aid in flavor - but it will help with clarity somewhat.

It you are really wanting to filter - I saw a recent post for a 'cheaper' setup that would let you add filtering beer to your abilities for about ~$2 per batch, after you purchase the $20 filter holders... it includes an awesome part list and links:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-...-cheap-261897/ (Thanks Radix!)

Cheers

Scale to rig....

Tiny Brew (TB) --- Gravity Fed --- Bottle Washer - Cheap

Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 AM   #8
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Secondary is not necessary clear beer but a good cold break after boil and a cold crash after fermentation works wonders. More time in the fridge works too but it's better to let it floc before you bottle. You can also use finings in the boil like whirlfloc tabs/irish moss or after fermentation with gelatin if you need to but it shouldn't be necessary. It should be noted that some yeast floc better than others. A lot is in your process though too. If you're careful when racking, you'll leave a lot behind without losing beer. Overall, filters are not practical and not needed.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi314 View Post
You'll likely run into some resistance to the necessity for a secondary to aid in flavor - but it will help with clarity somewhat.
What exactly is the mechanism that allows beer to clear better without the yeast cake? It seems to me, rack it once or rack it twice doesn't change clarity.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:58 AM   #10
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSF336 View Post
I just read from Cheesefood's older threads in the past that the secondary wasn't really necessary so I went all cheap-o and saved the extra cash for more experimentation. I'll remember that in the future and see about buying a glass carboy for secondary use. Is the ice bath a quick, easy way to clear up the beer for now?
What I meant by the Ice bath comment was that a quick cool down after the boil will result in a better cold break and clearer beer. So the ice bath chill method is NOT ideal. You might get clearer beer using a counter flow or immersion chiller to bring the wort down to pitching temp.

The beer will also clear the longer it suits and ages. Cold crashing will expedite this process, but doing those things would be unwise without a secondary. You don't want the beer sitting on the trub for too long. Three weeks is risky imo and 1-1.5 is optimal.

Aging the beer a bit improves flavor and clarity noticeably, get a secondary and let it rest for two weeks before bottling. I agree that a secondary is not strictly necessary, but it isn't pointless either.

Quick Reply