New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Need Suggestions for a new 55 gallon system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Brewmoor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Need Suggestions for a new 55 gallon system

I have just acquired 4 55 gallon stainless drums. (previous life was maple syrup). I am planning on building a system that will allow me to do double batches to fill a 100 gallon fermentor. I plan to make this system electric.

Here are the questions I have for those with systems of this size:

1. What size fittings, valves and tubing would you suggest?

2. How many 5500w Elements for the boil kettles/ or another type element?

I will be fabricating everything myself. I will be building a PWM circuit to control the kettles and I am not sure how I am going to sparge yet but I will be purchasing two pumps based on what size tubing I will be using.

I have a good Idea what I need, I just want to hear from some people who have brewed on tanks this size what they suggest and what they may have done differently.

Thanks.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

I would venture a guess and say three if you want to take it to boil in a reasonable amount of time. I would say you would need 90 amps which includes a 20% safety factor. Just curious but what would you do with 100 gallons of beer?

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
nickpgoodman
Recipes 

We have a similar setup. 100 gallon mash tun, 2 55 gallon drums for boil kettles.

Pump and fittings are mostly 1.5" TriClamps, 1" ID. We go down to 1/2"ID in our HLT and HERMS coil, we also have 1/2" ID for our chiller, which is the chillus convulutus.

1.5" Triclamp with 1" flow all around would probably be more than enough for your system you are building, you could get away with smaller too.

Ours is gas fired, one kettle has 3 turkey fryer burners on, the other has some massive burner on it we found at a local shop.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

My LHBS sells 3 piece airlocks for $1 each if you need one for this.

JUST KIDDING... I have no input but I'm excited to watch this come together. Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Just curious but what would you do with 100 gallons of beer?
20 times as much as you'd do with 5 gallons

Old 06-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Ranger9913
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I am building the exact same thing for the most part. I plan on using 2-5500watt elements for my HLT and 3-5500w ULWD elements for the boil kettle with the intention of turning off 1 element once boil is reached. 3 elements in the BK should take less than 30mins to get a boil going. I plan on using a 100A circuit. My question is where do I mount the 3 elements? Do I mount them vertically say 6" apart, or mount them on 3 sides, L+R+Back? I am leaning towards 6"-10" off the bottom at L+R+Back.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Brewmoor

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
. Just curious but what would you do with 100 gallons of beer?
We are opening a taproom. This is going to be our proof of concept system. Our business plan has us doing this on the side and keeping our jobs. Brewing on weekends and serving after work.

The plan is to then get the money we need for a larger system after we can prove people like the beer and their is a market for it. We want to keep the taproom, locally distribute, and attach a homebrew store to it as well. With the hopes of us being able to quit our jobs at that point.

We are getting close. My partner is a lawyer. We have some initial investors to get started but we want to take it slow.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Brewmoor

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger9913 View Post
I am building the exact same thing for the most part. I plan on using 2-5500watt elements for my HLT and 3-5500w ULWD elements for the boil kettle with the intention of turning off 1 element once boil is reached. 3 elements in the BK should take less than 30mins to get a boil going. I plan on using a 100A circuit. My question is where do I mount the 3 elements? Do I mount them vertically say 6" apart, or mount them on 3 sides, L+R+Back? I am leaning towards 6"-10" off the bottom at L+R+Back.
I have been thinking about that too. I like the idea of vertical spacing but I do not want to have problems stiring the boil when I add hops. I would rather have everything out of the way if I can.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Ranger9913
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Again, that is our exact plan as well.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger9913 View Post
FWIW, I'm building an electric rig with keggles so much smaller scale. As for placement of elements etc, I kept the sides and back clear. I wanted to be able to set the vessels as close together as possible without interference and minimize the space required behind the rig.

So if the valve on the front is considered 6 o'clock, my site glass is like 4:00, element at 2:00, and temp probe at 10:00. I also kept the electric on the back side so as to minimize splashes and avoid tripping over cords.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Ranger9913
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Right assuming 6 o'clock is the valve my BK would have them at 12:00, 2:00, and 10:00. The HLT would be at 11:00 and 1:00

Quick Reply