Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Need help - Tap Identification

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Need help - Tap Identification

I hosted a graduation party yesterday and learned a valuable lesson. My friends, family, and neighbors are much dumber that I thought. I must have had to explain what beer was on each tap about a gajillion times. As you can see in the photos below I have a four tap system, so I didn't think it would be that difficult for everyone to remember. Especially since only three of the taps had beer in them. I finally just used some masking tape and a marker to label the taps.

So now I would like to add a permanent and more attractive solution to this problem. Because the taps are in a fairly high traffic area I don't want to use larger tap handles. I need something that will sit on the lid that can be changed to reflect the current beers on tap. Moreover, I'd like to be able to utilize a printed label and not require any hand writing. Also, as I am planning on adding some type of mug storage on the lid I don't want the label system to take up too much space. So please look at the photos below and let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks.

k02.jpg   k03.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Get a few baseball card sleeves or small acrylic picture frames. Put some magnetic tape on the bag and it will stick to the frot or top under each ap. Print out the 2.5x3.5" label to slip inside each one. Simple, cheap, very low profile. You can even add descriptions or amything else you'd want. You could cut them smaller too if you wanted. Mine are square b

Old 06-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I print labels onto business card magnets and place them near each faucet. There are cheap self stick magnets on ebay. Some people still get confused though. With your setup the magnets could be placed above each tap which would probably be more obvious.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I use magnetic business card holders on my keezer. The cards are free (since I write on the back of ones I pick up where ever I go), and they are quickly swapped out.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I bought a bunch of clear acrylic snap-in frames, used for keychains. They are meant for a 2"x3" photo. I print out 2x3 labels on card stock, place them back to back, and snap them into the frame. I attach a length of stainless bead chain, long enough to slip over the taps and handle, and hang them from the taps.

I just uploaded a couple of photos to my gallery, a close-up of the keg medallions themselves and a shot of the kegerator.

Lastly, I can also attach one of these directly to a corny keg handle when I am taking a keg somewhere.

Last edited by jeffmeh; 06-06-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Lilrascal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
I bought a bunch of clear acrylic snap-in frames, used for keychains. They are meant for a 2"x3" photo. I print out 2x3 labels on card stock, place them back to back, and snap them into the frame. I attach a length of stainless bead chain, long enough to slip over the taps and handle, and hang them from the taps.

I just uploaded a couple of photos to my gallery, a close-up of the keg medallions themselves and a shot of the kegerator.

Lastly, I can also attach one of these directly to a corny keg handle when I am taking a keg somewhere.
Do you remember where you got those acrylic frames? I haven't found something like that in a store yet.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilrascal View Post
Do you remember where you got those acrylic frames? I haven't found something like that in a store yet.
I got them on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390093612383

I got the stainless bead chain at http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/beaded-ball-chain-medium-6-p-402.html. Don't forget to order some connectors also http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/beaded-ball-chain-medium-6-connector-p-403.html.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Here is a link to a thread on this forum:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-tap-handles-167334/

This guy had a great idea on how to make wooden tap handles with easy to replace labels.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
NBABUCKS1
Recipes 

Can of Chalkboard spray paint cost me $5.99

problem..solved.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
MistyMountainHops
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a 2 tap keezer, but my solution could work for you as well - I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a chalk board and hung it above the keezer on the wall (I think it was like $10). I have it labeled with what's on the "Left" and the "Right" - but you could buy a bigger one and have 4 columns with descriptions etc. I also had a ton of bottle caps so I used a glue gun and hot glued them all around the boarder (border?).

"Offered a Bud Light, and a glass of water - I'd drink the water. You only have one liver, don't waste it on bad beer." - Brock Wagner

Quick Reply