The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Need Help with Natural Gas Line

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
OLDBREW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

yes 1/2 lb the . before the 5lb didn't take, I guess I didnt press hard enough should read .5lb per square inch. I'll edit that

Without knowing the total demand of the house, there is no way of knowing if the manifold itself is large enough in volume to carry the all branch runs. My primary side of the regulator is 10 psi then drops to .5 lbs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Hawgbranch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
If you use a line that feeds something like a kitchen stove then you do not have to worry about volume as long as you are not using both your burner and the stove at the same time.This could also work with a furnace as long as you have the heat turned down so the furnace would not come on while you are using your burner.
Does the size of the line and the distance from the meter make a difference? My home has 1/2" gas lines and where I would like to hook up to my brewrig is a long way from the meter.
There are multiple heaters, a stove and an oven using this line in my home. But, they will NOT be in use while brewing.
I want to buy 3 of the 23 tip wok burners for my rig but I need to make sure I have the Natural Gas capacity before purchasing the burners.

Thanks!

On Tap: - Backwater IPA
Carboy 1: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA
Carboy 2: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA

Old 01-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgbranch View Post
Does the size of the line and the distance from the meter make a difference? My home has 1/2" gas lines and where I would like to hook up to my brewrig is a long way from the meter.
There are multiple heaters, a stove and an oven using this line in my home. But, they will NOT be in use while brewing.
I want to buy 3 of the 23 tip wok burners for my rig but I need to make sure I have the Natural Gas capacity before purchasing the burners.

Thanks!
Yes, it does. Mine is long way, as well. I bought 3 of those burners (from CPAP) that I look forward to using. Since you're NOT using the other appliances during brewing, you should have an easy time. Just do it the way OLDBREWER said using the shutoff valves before/after brewing.

What I was instructed to do (by the Regional Building Department) was kinda mentioned already on this thread: Add up all the BTUs of all the appliances in the house (esp. the furnace!) and compare that to the regulator's BTUs. I was told that I may have to stem off from outside, where the meter is, instead of stemming off from inside the crawl space. I'm new to this sort of thing, but I know I can do it all myself, then have it inspected by the RBD, so this thread will be a valuable resource for me if everyone chimes in with their experiences.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 01-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
Hawgbranch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I am afraid I may require a direct line from the meter as well.
My gas line enters my home on the complete opposite end of the house from my brewshed. It then traverses my attic in a 1/2" line. I would be tapping into that line in the attic and extending it about 30' into my brewshed.
Even though I plan to have 3, 23 tip burners I can't forsee a moment when all 3 would be used simultaneously. And, by the time I am bringing the BK to boil, I won't be using the other 2 burners.
I have a call in to my gas company for information on our pressure.
I will continue to post any and all info here Earthbound.
Thanks for the info!

On Tap: - Backwater IPA
Carboy 1: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA
Carboy 2: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA

Quick Reply