Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Need help mounting propane plumbing for Brewstand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Dustin_J
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need help mounting propane plumbing for Brewstand

Hi folks,

I need some help getting the propane plumbing mounted to my Brewstand. Basically, I'm using black iron pipe and some 1" pieces of CSST for the plumbing, but I need some clamps or something to attach the B.I.P., which forms the bulk of the plumbing, to the brewstand itself.

I've tried using some pipe clips like these, but they after mocking things up it didn't seem like they'd clamp tight enough to keep the B.I.P. from rotating. Also, these are the only types of mounting hardware I could find at H.D./Lowe's but I may not be looking for the right things.

I've attached a picture below showing the general layout of the stand as well as a side cross-section showing how I'd like to mount the B.I.P. The stand is made out of 2"x2"x1/16" sq mild steel tubing, and there are 3 vertical supports that I'd like to attach the B.I.P. to if possible. The red line represents the B.I.P. section, the green is the CSST, the burners are grey, the black lines by the burners represent some adjustable mounting brackets that I'm making, and the yellow/orange is the sweet fire I'm going to make with my new setup Any help you could provide with hardware or methods of getting the plumbing attached would be appreciated.

"People who choose Bud and Coors over a microbrew are the same people that put catsup on their steak." - Some guy on the internet

Last edited by Dustin_J; 02-21-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Speeling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I think what you have there is fine. Once you get all the piping screwed together with tape and everything, the pipes will not just sit there and spin. They will be secure. Just tighten the clamps around them good.

Take a look around the brew rig thread for ideas and to see how other did it.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Last edited by IrregularPulse; 02-21-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
tipicreeper
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Relying on any clip along to give rigidity to the piping in my opinion is not the way to go
I think I would utilize tees with piping going up the uprights. Then the clips are simply there to keep the piping from falling to the floor.
-David

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Dustin_J
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I guess I should elaborate on things a bit. The plumbing itself is built/tested and ready to go, I just need a decent way to mount in on the frame in it's existing configuration if possible.

"People who choose Bud and Coors over a microbrew are the same people that put catsup on their steak." - Some guy on the internet

Last edited by Dustin_J; 02-21-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just put a little piece of rubber over the pipe where the clamps go to give it some grip.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Dustin_J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Just put a little piece of rubber over the pipe where the clamps go to give it some grip.
Aahhh, that's a good idea. Thanks

BTW, it worked like a charm. IT doesn't need to be super rigid since it won't really be supporting the burners, and the rubber was enough to keep it in place. Thanks again for the suggestions guys.

Last edited by Dustin_J; 02-21-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply