Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Need help designing an electric brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

someday, I'm going to learn how to read an electrical schematic and build one of these w/o cooking myself I've built quite a few sets of speakers and can read a crossover schematic, so maybe there is hope for me. Those speaker schematics don't have water in the mix though

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I'm most of the way done putting my control panel together, pics will show up when I'm done. I do have another question though. I'm trying to decide if I should run a long extension cable outside (since the wife hates the smell) or if I should put in a breaker/receptacle in the garage. I will be using a spa panel as well so I would just need the 30 amp breaker. My question is what type of breaker do I need? I have a picture that I took with my phone of the breaker panel if that helps. Also, the panel is flush with the wall, do I need a permit to add the outlet? All right, I guess I had 2 questions.

image-2680933564.jpg  

Old 11-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 436

It appears that your breaker panel has been butchered by someone. This is very apparent as several blank breaker positions are covered with duct tape to isolate the buss bars from your hands. That is a really bad scene and needs to be fixed ASAP.!

I suggest that you have an electrician install the 240V 30A breaker for you and run a 4 wire power line and outlet for your setup. He can also easily fix up your mains panel to insure your safety.

Please be very careful with the set up as it is now.

P-J

Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I noticed the duct tape too. It's the first time I've looked into it and I was kinda shocked

Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I guess I should clarify, I was surprised not shocked. Though if I poke around any more I might be shocked

Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #16
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Ok, still waiting on one more L6-30 outlet for my control panel and then it will be done. I had my breaker panel cleaned up and the new outlet installed. I have an order for quick disconnects, o rings and 1 chugger pump, for now. Though I'm on a budget and I'm only upgrading slowly, I should be able to make my next brew on an electric system. I will still be waiting on a new kettle for my herms but that will definitely take a while. I'm excited about trying out my new setup!

Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #17
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Ok, I FINALLY have my control panel built. so its time to throw up some pics showing the progress.

Here is my box cut and ready for the components
dsc02816.jpgdsc02817.jpg

Test fit of the components
dsc02815.jpgdsc02819.jpg

Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #18
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Here is the inside, i used a 12x12x8 control box so it was unbelievably tight and it was difficult to run the wire neatly.
dsc02831.jpgdsc02832.jpg

and the outside
dsc02830.jpgdsc02833.jpg

I have fired it up, the sestos timer is setup, however i havent had a chance to work with the PIDs. I am currently working on getting my kettles setup. the biggest problem i have right now is that i am out of money from the wife for a little while. I have one 20 gallon kettle, and all the attachments that will be going on my boil kettle. so for now, i will be using my system as i was with propane and coolers. heating the strike water, sparge water will all be done in the boil kettle and then moved, which brings me to the chugger pump that my wife got me. i cant wait to get the kettle done so i can test it out, and then finally get to my first brew.

there are no labels on my panel but the pid on the left is for the HLT and the one on the right is for the BK. as for the plugs, the upper plugs/rtd are associated with the left most item.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #19
organ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Needs more buttons.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

It has one to select HLT or BK and alarm for each PID and alarm for the timer and a pause/reset for the timer, one for each pump, an emergency stop and then a main power switch. I'm not sure if I could have done it with less. It looks cramped because it's such a small box

Quick Reply