Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Need help designing an electric brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Default Need help designing an electric brew rig

I am in the planning stages of building an electric rig. I'm married so I don't have all the money that I need for a complete setup, and I move a lot so I can of guarantee having 240v. As a matter of fact, I currently dot have 240v that I can use. For now, my goal is to make my HLT with a herman coil all electric. I will be using a 5 gal round igloo cooler to house the coil.

On to the place I need help. I've been looking at a whole bunch of threads and their associated wiring diagrams. I have never really worked with wiring so I'm not sure where to start with the diagrams. I have been looking for a pid for my controller, but I don't know how to wire it so that it controls the system. Also, I can't tell whether people are controlling the heating element or the pump.

I'm sure there are so good threads on here that I haven't found, if anyone can send some my way or know of a place to get really good directions on how to wire up the whole system to work I would greatly appreciate it. As always, thanks for all the awesome help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
carlisle_bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

Before you put much money into this - stop and look at the power available. A "normal" 110V outlet will trip the breaker at 15A. Depending on how this and that is wired you may only be able to count on 10A. You will need some sort of supplemental heat for boiling and likely for other things as well.

Pump is simple: switch goes between the power line and the pump. No controllers, nothing exotic. To make it even simpler - wire the pump to a cord and unplug it when you want it turned off.

Heat can be as simple as an eBay controller or it can be a lot more exotic. With your limited power availability, I'd just go the eBay route. Controller wires to the power line to run it. Relay in the controller wires to the power line and to the heater (to control it). That's pretty much it. Not many wires going not many places.

There are a few minor "how to do basic wiring" sort of things, but that's better done once you decide what you are doing.

Bob

Old 06-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the start and the heads up on the breakers. Just to clarify, I don't intent to boil with it. Just heat spare water and to keep the mash temp constant. For now I will still boil using my propane burner

Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Here is a diagram that I modified off of one of PJs diagrams, if anyone sees anything crazy please let me know. Its fairly possible I missed something while making adjustments or even more likely that I am just an idiot.

electric-brewery-plan.jpg  

Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard0 View Post
Here is a diagram that I modified off of one of PJs diagrams, if anyone sees anything crazy please let me know. Its fairly possible I missed something while making adjustments or even more likely that I am just an idiot.
First: I have no clue which diagram you chose to modify. (You deleted all of the info that was specific to the base diagram.)

Next: The image you posted is so small I can not read it or cypher the changes you made..

Wish I could help but, as it is, I don't stand a chance.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
P-J
Recipes 

mrwizard0,

Do you want help or not? I know you have logged in and have seen my response.

Can I help you?

P-J

Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hey PJ,

I definitely want help. However, I want to redraw the diagram so you can read it. I feel if I do it this way I will understand it better and be less likely to kill myself as I build it.

The drawing I modified was from this thread and it was the pic in post 14

I am currently redrawing the diagram and hope to have it up later tonight. Along with everyone, I appreciate all the work you do for us here!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I tried to make the diagram bigger

electric-brewery-plan.jpg  

Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
P-J
Recipes 

Well I did the best I could to provide a diagram for you. Some of it I could not figure out. Your second diagram is completely different as well. I hope this one helps you.

As always: Click the image for a full scale diagram that can be printed on tabloid paper (11" x 17").

P-J

Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

My second one was different because I was trying to use a bigger diagram that I found. I appreciate the help, yours looks close to what I had thought and that makes me feel like I am on the right track. Now to just get all the stuff an start putting it together. Thanks again

Pat

Quick Reply