The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Need help with Brew stand design...Please!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 1,083
Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Need help with Brew stand design...Please!!

Looking for some help in the design of a 2 tier stand i think. Going to be a gravity feed system for now. But im having a hard time coming up with a system. This is what i have for equipment, one blichmann burner, one 10 gallon blichmann brew kettle, HLT, and mash tun. My goal is to have the blichmann burner and blichmann kettle stay in one spot on the stand. I know guys have at least 2 burners and 2 boil kettles but since i started out with extract and went and bought the blichmann burner i want to use it as it. Maybe some day will buy another burner but wanna stay somewhat cost effective right now.

Any thoughts, drawings would be great. And am willing to compinsate the designer in some way or another. Thanks in advance.

__________________
poislb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 1,083
Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If it's a two tier, you'll need a pump. Gravity won't drain horizontally!
I was kinda thinking on just having the main burner on the main tier, and using the top tier and the floor as my gravity flow points to drain strike/sparge water then taking the mash tun to top tier to drain into the boil kettle. I know i would be moving the mash tun up and down a few times during the brew day but would it work?
__________________
poislb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,044
Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poislb View Post
I was kinda thinking on just having the main burner on the main tier, and using the top tier and the floor as my gravity flow points to drain strike/sparge water then taking the mash tun to top tier to drain into the boil kettle. I know i would be moving the mash tun up and down a few times during the brew day but would it work?
Oh, yes, then that would work. Remember that 15 pounds of grain in the MLT isn't that heavy until you add the water!

If you mash in with 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, that's an additional 45 pounds added to the weight!

Have you seen the "Blichman Top Tier" design? That's what I picture when I picture a gravity system. http://www.blichmannengineering.com/...d_modular.html
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 1,083
Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Oh, yes, then that would work. Remember that 15 pounds of grain in the MLT isn't that heavy until you add the water!

If you mash in with 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, that's an additional 45 pounds added to the weight!

Have you seen the "Blichman Top Tier" design? That's what I picture when I picture a gravity system. http://www.blichmannengineering.com/...d_modular.html


They have what looks to be the mash tun on the top tier, is there a pump from one kettle to the mash tun? That thing is tall, i would think it would be harder to get up that high. alot higher than what i was thinking on doing. Unless im just confusing the heck out of myself right now....lol
__________________
poislb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,044
Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poislb View Post
They have what looks to be the mash tun on the top tier, is there a pump from one kettle to the mash tun? That thing is tall, i would think it would be harder to get up that high. alot higher than what i was thinking on doing. Unless im just confusing the heck out of myself right now....lol
No, the stand itself just is a pole with three moveable shelves. You can set them up in any configuration.

I'd have the HLT highest, as you just have to use a hose to put water on it, and then the MLT in the middle (for ease of stirring and adding grain), and the BK on the bottom. That can all drain by gravity!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 1,083
Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, the stand itself just is a pole with three moveable shelves. You can set them up in any configuration.

I'd have the HLT highest, as you just have to use a hose to put water on it, and then the MLT in the middle (for ease of stirring and adding grain), and the BK on the bottom. That can all drain by gravity!
Gottcha, so in order to do it right where i dont have to move anything would be to get another burner and kettle? and either buy a pump or build a 3 tier stand for gravity...correct?

Unless i just decide to move the mash tun higher than my boil kettle eash run correct? Thanks again for all the help.
__________________
poislb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,044
Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poislb View Post
Gottcha, so in order to do it right where i dont have to move anything would be to get another burner and kettle? and either buy a pump or build a 3 tier stand for gravity...correct?

Unless i just decide to move the mash tun higher than my boil kettle eash run correct? Thanks again for all the help.
I'm trying to figure out another way, but I really don't see this being easy without the second burner OR a pump to move the water from the BK to the HLT if you only want to have one burner. I'm no engineer, though, so there are probably lots of ways to do it that I'm not thinking of! Homebrewers are amazingly resourceful!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 1,083
Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm trying to figure out another way, but I really don't see this being easy without the second burner OR a pump to move the water from the BK to the HLT if you only want to have one burner. I'm no engineer, though, so there are probably lots of ways to do it that I'm not thinking of! Homebrewers are amazingly resourceful!
I know, my brain is fried.....lol
__________________
poislb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 1,083
Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Brain fart....i do have a second 10 gallon mash tun, i could use that has a HLT to hold my sparge water correct. This way i can use one burner and one kettle, i think... Just have to move the coolers higher or lower to get the gravity into my BK....kind of a pain at first but can be done right....

Or go really smple and just BIAB...lol

I like doing things the hard way

__________________
poislb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brew Stand Design j_jones84 DIY Projects 12 08-22-2011 01:04 AM
Brew stand design. wortnz DIY Projects 1 01-10-2011 07:00 AM
Brew Stand Design Questions Atl300zx DIY Projects 1 06-13-2010 11:18 PM
brew stand design??? tomy2 DIY Projects 9 01-20-2010 12:57 AM
Custom burner stand design ?'s Funkenjaeger DIY Projects 1 10-27-2007 11:37 PM