New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Need a better wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Chattan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Need a better wort chiller

I've been doing 5 gallon batches in a Blichmann Boilermaker. The burner and Boilermaker are very efficient at heating up the wort. I used two 25' coils for cooling the wort and it took only 10 minutes to chill from 212 F to 64 F.

I have just finished my first 10 gallon batch in a keggle. I used the Blichmann burner under the keggle but could not sustain a vigorous boil.

I have a 3/8" OD tubing with 50 feet to chill the wort. It seemed to take forever to cool the wort.

I am looking for suggestions to heating and cooling. I would like to sustain a vigorous boil and cool the wort in about ten (10) minutes. I do like the coiled wort chiller and do all gravity brewing.

Concerned.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
trnitz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From what you described, it looks like there is too much mass for the immersion wort chiller to handle.

Cheapest possible option would be to add a pre-chiller (smaller immersion chiller in a bucket of ice+water). If that doesn't do it, then a counterflow or plate chiller are probably in your future.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
mnstorm99

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What is forever?

Stirring your wort while it cools will obviously speed up the process. Also, expect some more time now as the ground water warms up.

This is the chiller I use and it works great, but in the heat of summer it struggles to get anything below 75°. I still have my old 25' chiller and plan to use it a pre-chiller this summer.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I use this one (via gravity) with a ball valve/thermometer assembly on the wort out side to help limit flow and fine-tune the temperature going into the fermenter. The nice thing about plate chillers, is that kettle volume is pretty much a non issue.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX2330BWC

Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Chattan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstorm99 View Post
What is forever?

Stirring your wort while it cools will obviously speed up the process. Also, expect some more time now as the ground water warms up.

This is the chiller I use and it works great, but in the heat of summer it struggles to get anything below 75°. I still have my old 25' chiller and plan to use it a pre-chiller this summer.
Is your chiller 3/8 or 1/2?
Thanks

Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
Chattan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstorm99 View Post
What is forever?

I stir to increase thermal conductivity. Living in PA this winter and the water was always cold. Not sure what the temp is now, I will have to test it the next time I brew.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Chattan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgodilovebeer View Post
I use this one (via gravity) with a ball valve/thermometer assembly on the wort out side to help limit flow and fine-tune the temperature going into the fermenter. The nice thing about plate chillers, is that kettle volume is pretty much a non issue.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX2330BWC
I want to do all gravity! I like the idea of a plate chiller. Which one do you use? I went the copper tubing coils because they were cheaper and didn't think you could use them in a gravity system. Tell me more.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This is the assembly I was talking about earlier:

image-78232488.jpg

image-3508405675.jpg

I brewed a Marzen a few weeks ago, and with (wicked cold Canadian ground water) it went from 96C to 14C in one pass, taking about 10 minutes to fill a carboy. Pretty decent IMO. The cold break was crazy!

Old 05-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
mnstorm99

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattan View Post
Is your chiller 3/8 or 1/2?
Thanks
3/8" copper.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattan View Post
I want to do all gravity! I like the idea of a plate chiller. Which one do you use? I went the copper tubing coils because they were cheaper and didn't think you could use them in a gravity system. Tell me more.
I use the smaller 40plate chiller becasue my water is cold from the great lakes. If you have warmer ground water, the one he listed is a great chiller. This is how mine is set up without a pump.

Quick Reply