New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Need advice on a purchase please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
ILOVEBEER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need advice on a purchase please

Hello,

I have several non perlick faucets lying around and want to purchase the adapter to make these:

Does anyone use these for portable keg dispensing and if so do you like the pours you get from it?

Any reasons I should stay away from these?

Thanks
Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Ciliorozo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am no expert, but I know there is a relationship between temperature, hose length, and pressure. Given that there is no hose in this setup I would be concerned about properly balancing the system. I am sure someone out there has had success in doing it since these are widely available at the LHBS's. Anyhow, the reason I am replying here is because I thought about this setup when I read about a device that helps with the short or non-existent hose. The thread about that device is here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/
That may help.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The brewer at the downtown brewpub brought a 3 gallon keg of IIPA to the picnic we had in September. Turned it upside down so the tap was at the bottom and it worked fine. YMMV I guess.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 07-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 398

They work very well especially when you use Ciliorozo's suggestion. (Epoxy mixer matrix in the beer out dip tube)

I also use the all metal beverage out connector:

Works like a charm.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sweet...I'm checking it out...thanks

Old 07-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Chilorozo,

Thanks for the advice, I think that is a great idea. I was just looking at McMaster Carr and saw they come in a pack of 12. How many do you insert into each tube with great results?

Thanks
Joe

Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I think it works just fine and is easy to use. I simply set my serving pressure lower to stop foaming. Setting the pressure lower is easy to do and allows me to use less of the CO2 injector to dispense beer. However, you could just as easily use a CO2 tank/regulator setup with the same tap by simply adjusting the regulator down.

I have now idea why you would turn the keg upside unless you don't have a dip tube in the keg....

Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I also wonder if it is ok to just leave the McMaster carr inserts in fulltime with no ill effets?

I have a kegerator and normally set a lower temp, since I didn't really care to have 100' of hose for smooth pours (j/k on the hose length)?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have one of these taps and I like it a lot. Very convenient and much classier than a pic nic tap.

You have a few options to reduce the foaming problem:

1. Reduce the keg pressure to the very minimum when pouring. This can be a PIA as you need to keep a close eye on the keg and add/relieve the pressure frequently. The pressure will tend to creep upwards between pours due to some of the CO2 coming out of solution and/or the keg warming slightly if not chilled with ice or refrigerated. It only takes about 1 psi to get a decent pour from this type of tap and more than that will likely result in foaming issues.
2. You can install the epoxy mixing tube(s) as suggested above.
3. You can get the same effect as the epoxy mixers using common 1/4" OD polyethylene water supply line. This tubing is also commonly used as water supply line to refrigerator ice makers and such. You can buy it at Home Depot or most any hardware store. It typically sells for about $3 for a 25ft coil, so it's very inexpensive and essentially disposable. Use it as you would the epoxy mixers. Just insert it into the long beer out dip tube. The poly tubing is semi-rigid and it's sort of slippery so it will slip into the dip tube easily. Use a sharp utility knife to trim both ends flush with the dip tube then re-install the dip tube and you're off to the races. The poly tube is very easy to remove from the dip tube for cleaning purposes and it is re-usable indefinitely. The poly tubing is a much cheaper alternative to the epoxy mixers and also easier to find locally. This works every bit as well as the epoxy mixers. I have it installed in all of my kegs, not just for the stubby tap shown.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
Ciliorozo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
Chilorozo,

Thanks for the advice, I think that is a great idea. I was just looking at McMaster Carr and saw they come in a pack of 12. How many do you insert into each tube with great results?

Thanks
Joe

I have actually never used these before, but came across the thread when I was learning about hose lengths and system balancing. So it has been sitting in the back of mind just in case. According to the OP in the thread I referenced above, they used 2 in a keg.

Quick Reply