Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Natural carb keg/movement questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Natural carb keg/movement questions

So I'm supplying 1 corny keg for something that everyone can drink, probably a pale ale or Irish red or something. My plan is to brew it this weekend, sit in the primary for 3 weeks, then since I'm short on time, naturally carbonate it via priming sugar in a keg, so it can carbonate and age for 3 more weeks, and the party is the week after.

My main question is, will I get adequate carbonation doing it this way? I know I still have to supply one of those mini co2 dispensor things, I'm just trying to avoid force carbonation for a couple of issues I've been having in the past.

Also I will throw it in the fridge for a week before the party, but have no interest in bringing my kegorator to the party, so I am either going to throw it in my cooler mash tun with ice, or my keggle so it looks like a full keg of beer. My question is, how long will it have to sit after I bring it to the party before I can dispense and not turn all of the BMC drinkers off with the yeast that was stirred up?

Thank you for your responses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Overnight would be best but a few hours might work somewhat. I would transfer to another keg for transport if you have a spare.

Fill the keg with sanitizer, blow it out with co2 and use an out to out jumper to push the beer to the empty keg.

Be sure to pour off a couple pints first to be sure the beer is clear

Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
horseinmay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have done this before, and 6 weeks is plenty of time. 1 week primary, then check gravity, prime it with sugar, wait 2 weeks, cold crash, and transfer to a new keg for serving. That's 3-4 weeks max. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I know its enough time, its more if a question of with the.priming sugar be adequate, how long I have to wait to dispense.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
MaltedLiver
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

If I am understanding you correctly, you are asking if the carbonation with priming sugar will be enough for you to propel the beer through a draft system.

No.

You need either CO2 pressure to move the beer through the lines or a Sankey keg and a party air pump.

Carbonation does not propel the beer up the lines it just makes it taste right.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads