I thought I would share this little DIY project. I am aware that I am opening myself up to a lot of...ehhh..."comments" so have at it!
I brew a lot of 1 gallon batches. Mainly because it allows for a lot of experimenting and tweaking recipes to perfect them to my liking. It also allows me to improve on my overall brew process so make it more efficient.
So I wanted a small RIMS setup for all grain brews and here is what I came up with for about $30, all parts found at a Big Box.
In the pictures shown below:
- (1) 1" Coupler (slip x threaded)
- (2) 1" x 1/2" Tee (slip x threaded 1/2")
- (1) 1" x 1/2" Bushing (slip x 1/2" threaded)
- (2) 1/2" x 1/2" Hose Barbs (nylon)
- (2) 2" lengths of 1"PVC
- (1) 1,500 Watt, 120 Volt 1" Threaded Heating Element
- (1) 1" x 10" piece of foam PVC insultation
- (6) Black Tie Wraps
- (1) 1 1/4" PVC Cap
The Heat stick threads into the coupler, the 2" PVC sections join the (2) 1" Tees together. The Nylon hose barbs thread into the 1/2" part of the Tee. The 1" x 1/2" bushing slips into the top of the Tee for the Temp probe.
I used the 1 1/4" PVC Cap to cover and seal the heat stick wiring terminals. I had some food grade RTV silicon left over to make it water tight.
For the wiring I used a 2' section of 14/3 power cord with a 15A plug. I had some decorative heat shrink material left over from my Kal style eKeggle build so used that to cover the plain black rubber power cord.
I plan on using a Johnson Controller and a SHURflo 1GPM Mag Pump. I will update once I incorporate them into this mini build.