Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #81
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The best parts company for strut is Caddy they make all the different fittings. You can get stainless strut for about $6.50 a foot if you like. I would call a plumber and ask where he buys material cause you need some strut for home brewing. Never know he might get it cheaper for you, pay him and give him some brew for the trouble. I do mechanical systems some times I have a store put Ranco's on sale for $45, I grab 2 or three for friends all the time.

Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #82
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

here are a few pic of other fittings that are great to use
img_0853.jpg
img_1070.jpg

I use strut a lot there are tons of cool fittings this is a job I finished up the units in the strut racks a boilers. the arms they are on are rated for 800lb you can get them up to 36in long could mount them and free span brew station off wall

img_0852.jpg

(that's from me)

Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #83
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also if you are looking at building a strut stand they make Strut nuts. These fitt in side the channel so you can put the open side down and bolt through a fitting, the nut grabs both sides of the Channel and work great. Or if channel is up use them to bolt extra stuff to stand,ie hooks for mash paddle, controll box brackets.
Also strut comes in three sizes
5/8 in
1 5/8
3 1/8

The 3 1/8 is very strong I use it to hold 300lb air conditioning units with out bracing in 5ft spans.

(that's from me)

Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #84
davidgsmit
Smithaus Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
Here are some pics from the opening brew night on the rig. Real happy with the direct fired mash. With these burners I was worried they would create too much heat even on the lowest setting. Not so. When the temp hit 150 I would kick on the burners as low as I could keep it, and with a good recirc flow, it would take about 5 mins for it to get up to 154. Nice even temp rise. Otherwise, pretty uneventful. Next up is the Honeywell 8200 gas valve with standing pilot so I can actually use the output from my Auber controller.
I'd love to know more about the blue flexible gas line you have... where you get that? How long is it? Do you like it?

I've been using one of those yellow bendable metal ones you attach to a dryer...not long enough and gets in the way!

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #85
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgsmit View Post
I'd love to know more about the blue flexible gas line you have... where you get that? How long is it? Do you like it?

I've been using one of those yellow bendable metal ones you attach to a dryer...not long enough and gets in the way!

Thanks!
I did lots of digging when planning my rig on whether or not to get the "real" flex hose, and when I priced all of that out for my run, which is 25', it was insane, like I could've been on LP another 50 years before I made up any savings by going to NG. I did research and found that the standard butyl rubber air hose is extremely incompatible with NG, and read somewhere that it will quickly break down the rubber and then not sure what would happen. PVC, that I checked HERE and a few other places, has excellent compatibility with NG. So, I made my decision to just find some 1/2" PVC air hose and it has worked out great. Super flexible as you can imagine, and I only have it hooked up for the few hours I'm brewing so I never really leave it unattended so if something crazy were to happen I'm right there. I got some nice NG QDs for the ends so I have one on my outlet just inside the garage in the laundry room, and the other on my rig. Hook up the hose by push-in lock QD, turn on the valve, and its ready. So, to answer your question, that hose is not official NG gas hose by any means. The PVC stuff will however be very stable with NG which is why I chose it. Just need to stay away from the standard air hose, which is just run of the mill rubber. Also, got that 1/2" NPT 25' section on ebay for $25 shipped (an obvious steal). It's Goodyear brand, and their PVC hose is generally blue in color. The key is to find some industrial supply place selling it as overstock or something like that, which is what this was, new, but overstock.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #86
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Guys, I was at my local Home Depot a couple of days ago and I verified that they did have a whole section of connectors for strut. I was specifically interested in the corner pieces and they had several sizes. It was all hanging right next to the two sizes of strut in the electrical dept. So connectors are available to some extent at HD.

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #87
gifty74
Recipes 

Just to follow up, I found a great deal on the same hose I bought on ebay. They sell it HERE for $20. Not sure of the shipping, but this is the exact stuff I have, 1/2" Goodyear Pliovic PVC hose.

And, here are the QDs I bought, and the cheapest place I found to buy them. Awesome quality. I got 2, one for each end of the hose. Valved so they shut off when not connected.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #88
davidgsmit
Smithaus Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome! Buying the hose and qd's now! Thanks gifty... I owe you a beer if you have your eye on anything in CO... That's a major money saver for me.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #89
davidgsmit
Smithaus Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yikes! After shipping that's $43 for the QD! sigh... it's still worth it.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #90
gifty74
Recipes 

Yeah, I got 2 and wasnt able to get the rig set up to use them for over a year. Talk about frustrating. Not cheap but good quality and worth it for convenience and safety. Glad you dig the links. I dug around for a while looking for the best deals. Are you building a weldless stand or just wanted info on the NG?

Quick Reply