Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #541
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the Coupon Code!... I was hinting to them that it would be nice to have something since there are sooo many people being supportive of the website and spreading the good word about their service. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my suggestions, but I was trying to be discrete and not come off as a cheap ass!
I might have some more pieces to pick up over time so it will help.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #542
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Thanks for the Coupon Code!... I was hinting to them that it would be nice to have something since there are sooo many people being supportive of the website and spreading the good word about their service. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my suggestions, but I was trying to be discrete and not come off as a cheap ass!
I might have some more pieces to pick up over time so it will help.
I've just made a habit of searching the store name followed by the word coupon in google, comes up with something about half the time. As a matter of fact, that code came from this very thread, all the way back on page 18.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #543
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallbeer
This is what mine looks like. I used 5' lengths for the length, 14" for the width, and 16" lengths for the height. I mounted my counterflow chiller on a hinge so I can move it out of the way when it's not being used. Both pumps are now mounted under the center section.
This is exactly what I would like to build. Do you happen to have plans that you followed? I am thinking of following this but yours is a little longer. I will be using a cooler MLT for awhile in the middle and want to make sure it doesn't melt.
On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #544
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc1354
Thought I'd post up what I've been working on
Is this a good height for your burners? I have a Bayou classic banjo burner that I run a Keggle on. I found by raising it all the way up as close as possible to the keggle I get the best use of the heat. I barely have to have it on to get a quick boil. Your banjo burners look pretty far away from the keggle, just wondering if you have experimented with the distance and tried to move them very close?
On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 06-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #545
cracked1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Jakthund View Post
With the 1 hole fittings, any issues with horizontal(side to side) sway? Any thoughts of needing cross beam supports?

What is the black pipe you used? 1/2 inch threaded steel pipe and brass fittings? I think I found the gas appliance install kit on Lowes website, is this what you used? - http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
No, no worries about any sway. Using these -> http://www.strutchannelfittings.com/...LES-_p_73.html brackets for the 8 corners make it solid as a rock. I am not kidding when I say I could park a car on this stand.

The gas manifold is standard 1/2" black pipe reduced to 1/4" to attach the needle valves. Then a 1/4"mpt x 3/8" flare brass adaptor to connect the flex line. The flex lines I originally used were similar to the link you provided except the lines were 36" with 3/8" flare ends. I found shorter ones though elsewhere. They are for connecting fireplace gas log sets.

I was going to change my signature but I ran out of clever.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #546
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked1 View Post
The flex lines I originally used were similar to the link you provided except the lines were 36" with 3/8" flare ends. I found shorter ones though elsewhere. They are for connecting fireplace gas log sets.
these are the hoses i used - pretty cheap: http://www.rvsupplyparts.com/index.p..._detail&p=7067

they come in different length, search for "propane hoses" (use the plural, for some reason you get better results)

got this info from stonebrewer, the godfather of my stand

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #547
kjdoyle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I need some ideas on pump wiring

So, Ive got my single tier stand built and I've mounted my pump vertically on a verticle strut....now I need to wire it to a switch with some sort of GFI / liquid proof box. Can you guys post some pictures or ideas with needed parts? currently I have just been plugging my pump into an ext cord when I run it and unplugging when I'm done, but having a great new stand I want to clean that up and make it a simpe flip of the switch....Thanks

Old 06-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #548
pdxkale
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

First off, this threat is amazing. Thanks all for your input and inspiration. I currently have a wood brew sculpture that I built about 2 years ago, and this weekend it started smoking, so I'm taking that as a sign from the beer gods that I need to build a single tier strut stand.

I'm not sure if you were aware, but the strut channel fittings folks now have almost perfect precut lengths available, 5', 2', and 12" or 18" precut lengths. I was able to essentially buy everything precut. Since I do not have a garage, or any real metal working tools, or experience, this is a huge bonus for me. Also, the fact that these folks ship for ~130lbs of parts and pieces for free, and have everything on sale, and give a 10% discount on top of that is just insane.

Once everything gets in and I get it all assembled, I'll post pics. Thanks again for one of the best threads on HBT.

Screaming Weasel Brewing... beer so good it will make your weasel scream.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #549
kjdoyle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Agreed..

I can't say enough great things about Struchannelfittings...I live in Oregon and they have a dist center in Las Vegas, they ship 3 day UPS ground for free which is amazing considering some of the weight of the shipments. If you order in the moring it will probably ship that day, and they are very prompt about getting tracking info to you.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #550
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdoyle View Post
I can't say enough great things about Struchannelfittings...I live in Oregon and they have a dist center in Las Vegas, they ship 3 day UPS ground for free which is amazing considering some of the weight of the shipments. If you order in the moring it will probably ship that day, and they are very prompt about getting tracking info to you.
+1, 110 lbs of fittings to my door in Idaho in 3 business days.

Quick Reply